Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, every once in a while, we have questions that may fall into the less technical, less complex, or maybe even silly-to-others category. So I started this new thread so we all can throw that type of questions in here to share. Please feel free to join in.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anybody know why the rear wiper blade can only be lifted off the hatch glass by may be an inch, instead of completely off the window like the front wipers? Drives me nuts every time I clean the rear glass.have seen the same on other HBs, but can never figure out why.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
10,529 Posts
Does anybody know why the rear wiper blade can only be lifted off the hatch glass by may be an inch, instead of completely off the window like the front wipers? Drives me nuts every time I clean the rear glass.have seen the same on other HBs, but can never figure out why.
Remove the cover at the end of the wiper arm. When the cover is removed, the arm can pivot away from the glass.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx. I'll give that a try. May be I can modify the arm cover so it can pivot with the cover in place.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan SE (6-MT)
216 Posts
Why does the push button start sometimes light up dash + start the car on the first push, & sometimes just light up the dash & then require a 2nd push to start the engine - even when doing the exact same pre-start-up routine every time? Pretty flaky.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
10,408 Posts
Why does the push button start sometimes light up dash + start the car on the first push, & sometimes just light up the dash & then require a 2nd push to start the engine - even when doing the exact same pre-start-up routine every time? Pretty flaky.
Check your owners manual for the vehicle start up procedure.

·
Registered
19 Corolla Hatchback XSE
117 Posts
OOOOH I got one! Can we trust the 10,000 mile oil change that Toyota recommends? I know that synthetic oil has evolved over the years but I just couldn't fathom running oil for 10,000 miles in LA traffic. What do you guys do?

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
OOOOH I got one! Can we trust the 10,000 mile oil change that Toyota recommends? I know that synthetic oil has evolved over the years but I just couldn't fathom running oil for 10,000 miles in LA traffic. What do you guys do?
You don't have to follow Toyota's maintenance schedule. You can always follow your own.

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
Yeah that's true but does the factory recommendation make sense? What do you do?
I follow my own schedule. How I see it, the factory maintenance schedule has been dumbed down because people don't follow them whether because of ignorance or people thinking they are being scammed or they are gonna trade their car in two years anyway.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
10,529 Posts
Yeah that's true but does the factory recommendation make sense? What do you do?
It's been a while since I bought a new car. One thing I've learned about it, new oci needs to be established outside of the factory oci. Especially if there's no records in the first place.

I was doing 10k oci, but decided to just do 5k. Piece of mind.

With this, it's up to you.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is the timing between you stepping on the clutch and pushing the Start button. The car needs confirmation that the clutch is engaged before the Start button would work. Try delay pushing Start about 1/2 second after you step on the clutch, everything should work the way it suppose to.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the recommended oil change interval is based on "Normal" driving conditions, whatever Normal suppose to mean. There must be some wording in the manual saying something about the owners need to adjust maintenance schedule according to driving condition. LA traffic is likely not Normal condition. If you love your car, just change the oil more often. It is cheap insurance. If nothing else, it would give you peace of mind.

·
Registered
2021 Corolla Hatchback XSE 6 spd
58 Posts
If you love your car, just change the oil more often. It is cheap insurance. If nothing else, it would give you peace of mind.
I'll chime in and say i've decided to do 5000 mile oil changes. I got one of those quick change valves that Scotty Kilmer reviewed. DIY - Pennzoil Platinum oil - Toyota filters. Not including that valve, each change will cost about $26.

I decided to experiment with a 10,000 interval on my 2002 RAV4, pure synthetic all the way. That owners guide recommends a 7500 interval i believe. It's got 240k on the odometer now, and it burns a good bit - maybe 1/2 quart every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
19 Corolla Hatchback XSE
117 Posts
I think the recommended oil change interval is based on "Normal" driving conditions, whatever Normal suppose to mean. There must be some wording in the manual saying something about the owners need to adjust maintenance schedule according to driving condition. LA traffic is likely not Normal condition. If you love your car, just change the oil more often. It is cheap insurance. If nothing else, it would give you peace of mind.
Yeah thats what they claim: “Under Normal Driving Conditions” which is very vague! And recently, due to COVID, LA traffic was not bad but it is starting to get worse so I guess I’ll stick with 5k intervals from now on.

·
straight cash homie
20,744 Posts
^ I think a lot of Toyota dealers in the LA area recommend to change oil every 5K for 'severe driving', at least that was on my non-synthetic Corolla, don't know if they recommend to stretch it a little for synthetic cars.

·
Registered
19 Corolla Hatchback XSE
117 Posts
^ I think a lot of Toyota dealers in the LA area recommend to change oil every 5K for 'severe driving', at least that was on my non-synthetic Corolla, don't know if they recommend to stretch it a little for synthetic cars.
The dealer I take it to said to follow the 10k, well at least for the free oil changes within the 25k miles Toyota Care service. I just couldn't think of even taking that long to do it even on synthetic unless it is proven that it's okay to do it for the long haul. Planning to keep this car until the wheels fall off so I don't want the engine to fall off before the wheels do. LOL!

·
straight cash homie
20,744 Posts
The dealer I take it to said to follow the 10k, well at least for the free oil changes within the 25k miles Toyota Care service. I just couldn't think of even taking that long to do it even on synthetic unless it is proven that it's okay to do it for the long haul. Planning to keep this car until the wheels fall off so I don't want the engine to fall off before the wheels do. LOL!
20 years? I'm already bored of my Corolla and its been 12 years...if I didn't buy a house, I would already be driving another car.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts