Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The 73rd
'94 Camry LE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, my '94 Camry is much-loved, much-used, and poorly cared for - I don't think we (as in my family) has ever changed a single part of the car except for the oil filter and the oil unless said part has broken down. For all of that, the vehicle is still going strong at 206k miles. What can I do to ensure it keeps going like new? I don't even know where to begin.

It's like an old friend to me, and I'd be honored to have it carry me through college. Please help!

·
Registered
camry
182 Posts
Just keep getting regular oil changes and occasional tune ups. Make sure you change degradable parts like plugs and wires maybe put some injector cleaner in your tank if you don't want to outright change them. Pretty much preventitive maintainance is the best you can do.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
I'd say that unless you're mechanically inclined, take it to a trusted mechanic once a year for a "tune up", but more importantly for a check up- to check the suspension, the exhaust system, pulleys, belts, etc etc.

that way, if any part is starting to wear, it can be replaced ahead of time, as a preemtive procedure to it failing or not holding up it's end and causing more wear and tear on other parts of the car

·
The 73rd
'94 Camry LE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@toyotacamry1: What plugs and wires specifically am I supposed to change? I know there are spark plugs, but I barely know what they are, much less where they are in the car. I don't know anything about wires.

@Eye8Pussies: I would prefer to learn how to tune-up my car as much as possible by myself to save on money, though I guess getting the car diagnosed by a fulltime mechanic is a good starting point.

Question - if I study ASE certification, will I learn enough about cars to be able to make changes to the suspension, exhaust system, pulleys, belts, and more by myself?

Thanks guys!

·
TN's Financial Expert
965 Posts
Synwolf said:
Question - if I study ASE certification, will I learn enough about cars to be able to make changes to the suspension, exhaust system, pulleys, belts, and more by myself?

Thanks guys!
Just buy a haynes/chiltons manual...tells you how to do basically everything and for your specific car.

BULLMKT

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ werd

and for the 94 camry, you can even download the pdf of the shop manual that tells you how to literally do everything step by step on your car

·
Sebastian Loebs evil twin
168 Posts
ASE certification is to promote repairing things properly on cars.
it was started back in the age where everyone and their dog were calling themselves mechanics. this gave mechanics a poor reputation of stupidity and untrustworthyness.

if your asking bout turning your car into a monster tho. you found the right site;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Synwolf said:

Thanks guys!
Only if you are willing to llearn and have the right aptitude for it. A lot of mechanical knowledge and skill comes from hands on experience. Book work won't cover everything.

You will also need tools!

Gary

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
ASE = Automotive Service Excellence....usually found in dealerships, must renew every 2 or 5 years, must be 18 years old, and have worked in a shop for 2 years to get certified.

but gary is right for the most part too.
Haynes manual is a great idea too!

·
Registered
271 Posts
my '94 is going strong at 235k and is a trusted friend also. Only had oil changes and failed parts replaced (CV joints). I keep it tuned with plugs & wires every 100k and I use synthetic oil. Mostly I keep a keen ear peeled to how its running, which lately is like new. Can't hardly believe it, but it is...
The new tires, KYB struts and strut mounts were a good thing...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts