Toyota Nation Forum banner

*rant* buying a camry

1582 27
so we saw this sweet 3rd gen... really clean, i test drove it and all. My parents were going later during the day to seal the deal... well my dad calls him half hour before the appointment like the guy had asked us to do and now he said the alternator went bad and he wants to replace it before he sells it.....

okay, so the car has been sittin on the side of the street all week. He lets me drive it on the freeway and roads and the car started up fine and no problem. He doesn't even drive the car anymore because he had his own car... now all of a sudden the alternator died? freakin if he wants to hold off or sell it to someone else, why can't people just say it. Not like he's ever gonna see us again. So frustrating! :mad:
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
96 maxima SE 5-spd
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So let's say DMV approves it... end of story, right? Not like his father-in-law can come back and try to claim the car or take it away from us.

· Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
9,480 Posts
nadir said:
So let's say DMV approves it... end of story, right? Not like his father-in-law can come back and try to claim the car or take it away from us.
if DMV approves it, the in-laws gotta would have to prove that homeboy stole the car and sold it without their knowledge. if they did that you'd lose the car and any money you put on it, that's about it.

· Registered
96 maxima SE 5-spd
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
we just called him but he didn't pick up. Immediately, we got a call back from his older brother (or whoever he is that came by today with him) and told us that the guy is not going to be involved anymore...

he said that he was going to take the responsibility and that we should'nt worry. He claims that he has the power of attorney and everything will be handled properly.

· Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
4,078 Posts
wov, what drama...buying a car should be easier than that. I remember when i sold my celi, i got the cash, and signed off on the title and told the buyer..you write in how much you bought it for ;) Didn't got to the DMV, nothing..just called up insurance and told them to drop the car from our policies....Good luck Nadir..and word of advise: let your young bro' get used to the car before you mod to it.

· Registered
96 maxima SE 5-spd
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
okay, here's what happened. The asshole didn't even show up to DMV today. We tried callin him from there and he never picked up. FInally, when DMV closed (waited an hour), my parents went home and called him from a blocked number line and the dude finally picked up. He told me that the original guy that we were dealing with has called it off and that they are going to pick up the car this evening and not return our deposit.

WTF. So they're not even going to try to go through DMV and see if the papers transfer over? what the hell is that. So then we call him back and the asshole is refusing to pickup and we left him a message. Basically, we told him that we are going to call the cops and to have the original guy whom we were dealing with call us back. He called us back and gave a number to contact him because he was not in town. We call this guy up and he says that he wasn't updated on what was going on and he sounded surprised that the dude didn't even show up. We then told him we don't want to deal with this bullshit anymore and to come get their car off our driveway and give us back our 200 bucks or we're going to take legal action. He said to get the legal action because that's what he wants...

fine, but our local PD doesn't take reports after 6PM so now we have to wait till tomorrow morning.. at this point, we've blocked the car off so he doesn't come in at night and take it away. I wanted to get the car towed off our property but we're going to wait in the morning. We even had good faith by calling him and giving him a warning about it before we called and got it towed. We'll see what happens.. i tried calling him right now and see if we can sort this out because at this point, no way we're buying the car, we just want our money back without going through the police but this guy is not willing to communicate so what can we do.

· Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
4,078 Posts
nadir said:
this guy is not willing to communicate so what can we do.
Essentially keep a detailed log on your conversations.(when/what date/what transpired)..if you have an address, send a delivery confirmation indicating the samelog and your indication to buy the car if title is transfered..or your deposit back (for proof). Cus' i'm guessing the guy is going to call the cops and say you guys are holding his property! GOOD LUCK!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.