Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we assembled the engine entirely except the FUEL rail does not FIT!

And I thought all 3EE engines are the same! Bummer!

My 94 Rail does not match the rebuild engine, the engine is 90 apparently, Its one of the few rare tercels which were build in 89 and 90 with EFI, no wonder this engine was never sold to anyone its rare :rolleyes:

The 94 Paseo has a different rail than Tercel too :headbang: Tried that as well.

Anyways, does anyone know where i can get my hands on a 89 or 90 Toyota tercel FUEL RAIL, my favorite sites Ebay and rockauto dont have it. Who else sells it?
if you have one, i can trade it for injectors, or distributor coil.

If no one replies, im gonna cut my fuel rail and then splice it togeather somehow. Im leaning toward epoxy or some sort of screw with a hole...

Heres a picture of one i have its alluminum.

·
Banned
93 tercel
430 Posts
It's not a rare fuel rail its just a difference in the years
90-91 3EE TERCELL 12 VALVE EFI SOHC W/8-3/4 FUEL RAIL
92-94 3EE TERCELL 12 VALVE EFI SOHC W/8-1/2 FUEL RAIL

Your fuel rail has all blue injectors as well.
Yours needs to be blue brown blue brown from the fuel pressure regulator.

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks man, i have that part down. Its exacly a half inch longer at the mounting holes

I found some on car-part under distributor, I will call them and ask em to check their part.

I will try to have them ship it to me. Meanwhile i will modify my rail by cutting it into peices and gluing it back togeather with epoxy. :D

If anyone knows where I can order a NEW correct size rail please let me know. Thanks for the help and everyones looking at this post.

·
Banned
93 tercel
430 Posts
Thanks man, i have that part down. Its exacly a half inch longer at the mounting holes

I found some on car-part under distributor, I will call them and ask em to check their part.

I will try to have them ship it to me. Meanwhile i will modify my rail by cutting it into peices and gluing it back togeather with epoxy. :D

If anyone knows where I can order a NEW correct size rail please let me know. Thanks for the help and everyones looking at this post.
Why not go to a junkyard and get one for a 91-94 tercel?
Cutting and gluing your setting yourself up for failure and it is not wise to Jik the fuel rail like that.
You can get this part for about 5-10 bucks and it take 5 minutes to pull it your self.

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We went to a self pull place a few days ago for the second time. We pulled off EVERY TERCEL(4 ) and even PASEO (1) fuel rack we could find 5 vehicles in all.

Damn paseo is sexy :rolleyes: anyways.

NON of the fuel racks fit at all! they are the same as what i have exacly. So we bought another one for a backup :headbang:

Also called a few places on Carpart NONE of them have it, and they sure took their time, they took from 1 hour to 7 hours to call me back, its eazier to find gold :headbang:

We made a new fuel rack, by cutting it in 3 places and then putting a small copper tube thats ment to put hoses togeather with some thread on the inside, leaves plenty of space, of the fuel rack and then EPOXY it togeather once and then again to add some FATNESS to the connections so they dont break. (regular cotton thread turns epoxy to like fiberglass. Its only a few Millimeters of but still fits nicely into place. This is all due to the outer 2 injector holes being same place on both racks compared to the mounting holes.

Car runs ok, havent tried acceleration yet but runs fine.

Thanks for ur help dont worry i wont stop hunting this rack down, i will replace it with a new one as soon as i can find it.

·
Banned
93 tercel
430 Posts
I don't see the difficulty of all this your car is a 94 your engine is a 90 why not just use the 90 fuel rail?
Spice into the line and be done already.

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant find it, i called over 10 junkyards from car-part they seem to have injectors but they scrap the whole car :(

I will try again tommorow, i will also try the toyota dealer, see what they can say.

The FUEL rail we made, was driving ok then started pissing gasoline everywhere, EPOXY resists gas but not vibraton :( Made a new one by tapping the holes and putting a tube in there, with some rubber gasket maker, its supposed to resist fuel, so it says on box. Will try it once its dry.

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My original Engine is outside under a plastic tarp. It has leaky valves and rings.
So we bought remanufactured 3EE engine, everything fit great, engine was assembled quick but its from a 1990 TERCEL so INJECTOR fuel rail doesnt fit :( I guess toyota altered the holes at some point. I thought all 3ee's are the same but i guess not.

We have 2 fuel rails that we now cut up, one from junkyard one from my engine, we tried to splike to make a fuel rail for the new engine :(

I will try again at the self pull junkyard, I found my tercels and a paseo but the i couldnt find a 1990 tercel. I thought it looked like my 1994 model. Since now i found what the car looks like i think it will be eazier to find it. I think that junkyard has over 1000 cars, and the section is IMPORT, so its hard to find :(

I checked dealer parts supplier, they want 160$ for the fuel rail :( So im definatly gonna consider junkyard :(

·
Banned
93 tercel
430 Posts
I would go out and get an 8mm x 12 point drive socket take the old head off the original motor get all the seals redone then use that head and not the 90 head.

I may end up at the junk yard tomorrow if I see a 90 tercel I will snag that fuel rail for you.
But not sure if I'm going tomorrow or not.

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugh its very well rebuild i dont want to pull head at all, it ran great. My valves are all leaking :(

Thanks man, check ur PM

Meanwhile i made a "new version of a fuel rack. This time its still 4 peices, but they are now threaded and have a crappy threaded tube inside it, its not realy thick at all. I bought some "GAS TANK SEALANT" from a parts store. Its basicly a putty of epoxy with something rubbery. Bad thing is its realy thick and dried fast, but its supposed to remain rubbery, and it sticks realy good. Regular epoxy is still on the peices a bit, it does not come off at all. Hopefully this one will hold too at least till i can get peice.

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If anyone has a VIN NUMBER for a 90 tercel thats EFI. Please can i have it? Dealer and parts store both asking for it. They dont refund :(

·
Tinkering Addict
89 Tercel EZ
332 Posts
You need the VIN for yours... the models from '89-90 vary considerably even for the same year. I expect it's related to where and/or what month it was manufactured. Toyota was changing lots of little things on the Tercel those years. I had two '89 EZ's at one point and many little things were different - even the air cleaner was slightly off. The only difference between them was one month and a different factory.

There should be a VIN somewhere on that motor. Cars have the VIN stamped on the Motor as well as the dash to prevent chop-shops from selling stolen motors.

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I looked around a few times, both on old engine and new one, i cannot find any unique numbers, all they have are large marks saying 3 E 7 and such. I could not find an original number on even my old engine... Remanufacturer put a stick on number JXXXXXXX something like that but thats no where close to the length of a VIN number, or is it?

My fuel rack is holding up around 200 Miles so far. Its threaded and has a small threaded tube inside it, and its also glued with "Fuel tank repair" (Epoxy+rubberish substance) that i got at auto parts store.

Next fuel rack we gonna CUT up into peices again, and then weld togeather, thats gonna take some work. I dont realy want to pay 200$ and wait 3 weeks from dealer, thats kinda ridiculous...

Got some kind of belt problem, either alternator or water pump, making funny noises, rough idle... Alternator probably its old as hell, i thought it was too tight before, maybe bearing got messed up?

·
Tinkering Addict
89 Tercel EZ
332 Posts
That JXXXXXXX is probably a serial number. I'm pretty sure the J means it was manufactured in Japan. The VIN# on my '89 is 17 digits long and begins with a J also. They probably re-issue a number to engines when they are re-manufactured. Give that number to the dealer along with whatever other model, type and serial numbers you find on the engine. They should be able to look up a part based on whatever's written on the engine.

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool thanks guys, first we gonna try to weld a peice togeather then if that fails gonna go through dealer, i realy cant afford a 200$ alluminum peice when my tires are like 10$ each u know LOL

Glued togeather one with "gas tank repair" epoxy is holding preaty well! Hopefully gonna last forever till we weld a new one.

Thanks a lot guys!

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was driving on with the leaking fuel rail, i just lost half a tank of gas in 30 miles and smelled like gasoline a lot, which was normal before on my other engine

Only later i discovered that the FUEL was leaking right onto HOT EXHAUST PIPE... thats where smell was from...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts