Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone just recently converted to my Yoter and its honestly one of the best I've had so far. She's a little old and rusty but im fixing her. I got a 2001 Toyota Camry LE with the 2.2 5S-FE engine in it and recently came across numerous reports of these things being indestructible and reliable. She's got 130,000 on her and I'm currently in the process of trying to fix everything that's important because she was abused by her previous owner a lot. I've done her alternator, egr valve and gasket, I took the egr control in her from a 98 Camry, we redid her front brake pads, rotors, and caliper brackets, and we've redone the drum hats. Next are the calipers, pistons, and drum shoes and hardware. Really using her to teach myself how to work on cars because I've never really had the time and this is honestly a stupid easy engine and engine bay to work in. I plan on rebuilding her because the body is in stupid good shape. Gonna rent out a lift so we can remove rust and repaint everything. and eventually do some fun stuff with her.

Please if anyone knows any better parts I can use or other cars i can take parts from to improve on the overall car that would be great.

Nivix

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6
342 Posts
Here is a thread on my car with a few basic performance mods and some stuff from other cars. It's the V6 but most applies to yours as well.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Look for Lexus ES 300 in the junk yard. The seats are better than the Camry and bolt right in. Drivers side should already have the wiring for power seat and you just have to run some wiring for the passenger side. Take the sun visors as well. You can wire the lights to work or you might get lucky and the pigtail is in the roof already. They are thicker and larger, plus the plastic part slides out further.

Look for a Solara of the same year and take its front strut bar. You have to cut your insulation a little to get it to fit. The hood will be a bit tight but having a strut bar makes a world of a difference.

Do not put a short ram or cold air intake on your 5sfe. It does nothing for the 5sfe and in some cases you can lose a small amount of fuel economy as you are introducing warmer air. The stock intake is already a cold air of sorts. The V6 is a little better with an intake, but not the 5sfe.

You can swap your calipers with the ones from the Lexus ES300 which will give you better braking power. You could also swap the rears to disc if you so chose using either a V6 Camry or Lexus ES.

I haven't tried any but the Sienna of the same time frame is built on a Camry platform so there may be some part compatibility.

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6
342 Posts
Built on a camry platform is an understatement, the 1997-2000 model years engine bay could probably be entirely swapped over to a camry. Model year 2001-2002 upgraded to VVT-i so the intake and egr is different, but the rest is still mostly the same as the gen 4 camry.

·
Registered
582 Posts
foxtherouge, I can't find a thread on TN or YouTube video on how to upgrade Camry 5S-5FE rear drums for disc brakes. Do you know of any?

·
Registered
365 Posts
foxtherouge, I can't find a thread on TN or YouTube video on how to upgrade Camry 5S-5FE rear drums for disc brakes. Do you know of any?

It's literally in the sticky on the top of this section of the forum. It is called "Official Gen 3 and 4 Camry / Gen 1 Solara DIY and General Information/FAQ Thread "

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,025 Posts
note that if you change the rears from drums to discs, but then skip changing the proportioning valve on the firewall (buried behind the engine, where workability is very limited), then you will actually be reducing your rear braking performance (drum brakes have more initial bite than discs, so the braking force for rear drums is turned down, compared to the valve for the rear disc braked cars).

Also, note the rear discs weigh more than the drums, because they have little drum brakes built into them for parking, so your unsprung weight will go up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Also, note the rear discs weigh more than the drums, because they have little drum brakes built into them for parking, so your unsprung weight will go up.
This is a valid point and a part of me wants to actually weigh them to see just how much of a difference it is. The only real "heavy" part of drum brakes would be the actual drum itself, but I imagine a rotor would weigh close to the same by itself, not counting caliper weight.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know if the gen 4 glovebox came with a light, but if it's missing one you should be able to pull the socket, bulb and switch of one from a higher trim camry or an es300. Mine had the holes but lacked the socket and switch, but it was a pleasant surprise to see that the connections for both were simply taped up to the harness, up behind the glovebox, ready and waiting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts