Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Camry LE with the 4cyl engine, a little over 83k miles. It's been having a metallic rattling noise, which seems to be most noticeable between 2000-2500 rpm and then again near 3000 RPM. The noise happens nearly every time the car accelerates, and does not happen when the car is not moving (when I have the car in neutral and rev it to 2500, no noise). I've linked a video of the rattle below, and you can see the tachometer along with hearing the noise.

Any ideas as to what it might be? I've tried googling the noise and it seems like it's maybe a heat shield of some kind? It's kind of hard to describe the noise so I don't think I'm finding anybody with the same noise.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sounds like your exhaust is leaking. Kick the tailpipe engine off if you think it's an exhaust heat shield, you'll hear what you hear. Plug the tailpipe momentarily with a large cloth engine running and you'll find your leak. 10 bucks on a flex pipe for me.

Best!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would the noise only occur at specific engine speeds with an exhaust leak? I found some videos of exhaust leaks on YouTube and it seems like the sound happens at all engine speeds. With this, it only happens between 2000-2500 and the engine and exhaust sounds fine and completely normal at other engine speeds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If your engine or transmision mounts are worn the engine may vibrate more than normal and cause other things to rattle. When you're in neutral or park the engine doesn't put power to the transmission, when you're driving it it puts load on the tranny, maybe that's why it doesn't rattle in park or neutral.
Check all your heat shields, including the very back one if it still there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts