Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s a strong rattling coming from under my car and it seems to be from this thin metal piece wrapped around a rod. What is this? How do I fix it?
FFEB7FF4-162F-45E0-A465-843B732D20C2.jpeg

·
Slow AF
99 Posts
There’s a strong rattling coming from under my car and it seems to be from this thin metal piece wrapped around a rod. What is this? How do I fix it?
View attachment 284071 View attachment 284071
Looks like your exhaust heatsheld. A rivet might of fallen out. Crawl under the car and see if it's loose.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
It should be an easy fix with new bolts and larger washers as stated above.

·
Registered
40 Posts
had this rattle until an idiot mechanic ripped the heatshield off. But, it came back and it was an exhaust leak from rusted down pipe/ disintegrated flange donut at the muffler flange gasket. (its under the rear right seat if you try to find it. The leak needed replacement of the down pipe which was a bit expensive and all, so I got a good welder and he remove the flange and welded a piece of pipe there, linking the muffler and down-pipe together (warrantied for life).

The idiot who had pulled the heat-shield quoted either a thousand (at the very least) to replace the exhaust system, but I caught his idiot mechanic trying to burst a hole in my muffler, I think if I didnt look and yell at him to leave it alone, he was going to chisel through a rust spot with a flat head and a hammer, I said enough, and he also quoted almost 400buck to weld it like the welder did for 130, but no warranty on the job. Ridiculous. For 400, i'd buy the downpipe for less at a U-pull and replace it myself, even if i'm not mechanically inclined.

Just to say that, the heatshield rattle might happen because of a leak blowing air on it. It took almost 2 years before the rattle came back after most of the heatshield was ripped off, but then, i also had a loud exhaust and low amount of air coming out of the exhaust (seeing exhaust smoke on the backside of the car made me look under and quickly find the air leak).

PM me if your around Ottawa or Gatineau, Canada, and would like to know which mechanic did the crappy work(a Gatineau mechanic), and which welder helped me fix it (he was far east in Ottawa)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts