Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i've been working on my system and finally put in my sws 8" woofer in the rear door. It was rattling like crazy and couldn't stand it so i started putting some edead sound deadening on the inner and outer walls of the rear door and it helped it sound better. Although i still have this annoying rattling coming from the seat belt reel at the bottom(when i take it out the door sounds like it should. I tried putting some small pieces of edaed on the reel itself but its something inside it seems like. Any suggestions or comments on what i should do?

I really hope there is a way to solve this because the rattle ruins the whole system.:( Thanks

This is what the Earthquake sws 8 looks like in the door (before the applying sound deadening mat)

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Did you have to cut the hole bigger to mount it? Do you have pics of the door before you mounted it. Also, are you using a baffle of some type to mount it to the door?

For your rattling problem...If you are to press your hand against the spinning part of the seatbelt reel, does it still rattle?

Check out this thread.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t84909.html

The reply by langillt I think will probably fix the problem.

Plastic milk jug wall. Easily cuttable with scissors, super slippery, thin. Cut your washer circle, make a cut from edge to center, cut out the hole, slip it over the shaft. Taadaa!

Motocyclists make these puppies to fit between the throttle grip and the stationary grip boss. No squeek, no powdering, non-

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cam2Xrunner said:
Did you have to cut the hole bigger to mount it? Do you have pics of the door before you mounted it. Also, are you using a baffle of some type to mount it to the door?

For your rattling problem...If you are to press your hand against the spinning part of the seatbelt reel, does it still rattle?

Check out this thread.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t84909.html

The reply by langillt I think will probably fix the problem.
i had to cut the hole little bit larger and sorry no pictures before i mounted it if i take door apart again i'll take pic for you. I actually mounted it straight to the door. Thanks for the link, i'll have to try one of those mothods and see if it helps because i heard it before but now with that sub in there. OMG sounds like i have a trunk with 15's in it and the lisence plate is right behind me. Can't wait to take apart car again tomorrow and hopefully hear my true system.:)

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
You might also want to try and seal off that large hole. I like to use those corrugated plastic signs they use for advertising new homes. Then use double sided tape as a gasket, and then deaden the whole thing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
currentsupply said:
Just remove the seatbelt, you probably won't need it anyway.
That actually went through my mind as an option for a sec since noone sits in the back usually. Then i remembered that the seat belt causing problems is mine so i ratehr not even think about taking out. haha

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so i went out today and tried that milk jug washer idea and it did help that side to side rattle. Although that was very stligh rattle compared to what the real rattle was coming from. I kept trying to find out where it was coming from and on the right side of the hub in the semi-clear plastic side with yellow sticker, there is a amrble sized ball inside there that basically makes the seatbelt able to lock and pull freely i guess. :argh:This really sucks, all this work and i might not be able to solve my nasty rattle problem due to a safety feature i need. Any suggestions?

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
TheAznJ said:
ok so i went out today and tried that milk jug washer idea and it did help that side to side rattle. Although that was very stligh rattle compared to what the real rattle was coming from. I kept trying to find out where it was coming from and on the right side of the hub in the semi-clear plastic side with yellow sticker, there is a amrble sized ball inside there that basically makes the seatbelt able to lock and pull freely i guess. :argh:This really sucks, all this work and i might not be able to solve my nasty rattle problem due to a safety feature i need. Any suggestions?

That sucks. Does your system have to be stealth?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cam2Xrunner said:
That sucks. Does your system have to be stealth?
doesn't have to be but i thought it was gonna be a good nice idea. i might just make a custom enclosure for behind center console area later and go with that. I turned up the subs a littleeven with all the deadening the doors still have some resonating going on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts