Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a problem when I stop and the truck is in gear. I hear a rattling sound coming from the center of the vehicle. I verified that it is definitely not the brakes. The clips are on properly and the sound is not coming from that area. I checked the heat shields and they seem to be tight and not moving. When I put it in Neutral the sound stops as the vibration is no longer present. I hear it a bit when I go over bumps. I have a 2007 Sport V8 model. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what was done to resolve it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am going crazy with this noise.

Thanks,

Mark

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,618 Posts
2WD or 4WD? ;)

Could you safely record some video and post it? Does it do it with the parking brake on? Is it a high or low pitch rattle? Does it ring (hitting metal) or is it more of a thud (undercoating or plastic)? ;)

Best bet would to have someone that you trust help you out by sitting in the cab while you hunt fer the sound underneath. Make sure the wheels are chocked, windows rolled down, no distractions, and set the parking brake fer starters. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done that before with someone in the truck. It is definitely metal on metal and it has a light metal sound like tin. I went under and looked around the drive shaft and the heat shielding. I just couldn't find the source of the sound. I will see tomorrow if I could get a video of the issue and post it.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was gone for a while but I found out what the issue was. I was going to make the video and as I was looking under the truck I found a really loose clamp that was originally around the rear of the catalytic converter. The only reason I saw it was that it loosened up enough that it slid off and went down the exhaust pipe. I removed it and no noise.

Thanks,

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts