Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92'MR2turbo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie, just registered to be part of this forum. Anyway, I have a 92'MR2 turbo, which have been running fine ever since 1996 when I got it, I am running 17" on all four wheel with Powerdstop rotors, I also had replaced the spring to Eibach, and shock to Tokico gas shocks for over 5 yrs. Recently me steering wheel rattle really bad when I drive on the freeway over 45mph, so I took it to a local repair shop and they told me the cause was my shock is not working and leaking, which caused bumbs on my 2 front tires, and also my rotors are warped. I agreed to have them changed my shocks, which I think should at least take some vibration away, but it didn't do anything. Since Im short of money after the shop had ripped me(I think, $1300 for changing the 4 shocks) Im not sure what to do next... any body have any suggestion?

·
Registered
500 Posts
When you say rattle are you saying that it actually makes a rattling sound or it shakes badly? If it's shaking the first thing I'd look at would be tires.

·
Registered
92'MR2turbo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rattling!!

Thanx for replying, actually, the steering wheel rattle really bad when it passing 45mph on the freeway, I don't think anything else rattled, however, there is some vibration in the car, but I think it generated from the rattling steering wheel. Maybe you are right, Im planning to go change my front two tires soon since the repair shop did say they have bumps on them from the bad shocks. I will get back on this after I have the tires changed.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
mr2drive said:
Thanx for replying, actually, the steering wheel rattle really bad when it passing 45mph on the freeway, I don't think anything else rattled, however, there is some vibration in the car, but I think it generated from the rattling steering wheel. Maybe you are right, Im planning to go change my front two tires soon since the repair shop did say they have bumps on them from the bad shocks. I will get back on this after I have the tires changed.
usually vibration at only certain speeds can be attributed to balancing.check your tires..I ahd a vibration only between 60 and 70 mph and got the tires re-balanced. problem was solved...

·
Registered
92'MR2turbo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx 4 good suggestions!

I took on you guys' advices and had all my wheels rebalanced plus re-allignment, from the shop they told me that my car is way out of allignment. After everthing had done, the rattling/vibration is gone. Now I'm in doubt that the other shop had cheated me to changed all four of my struts when perhaps it was the out of allignment that caused the rattling from the beginning. Oh well, it's too late now.

·
Registered
Turbo 2
56 Posts
WOWWW.....
You actually paid 1300 for someone to change yopur shocks??? Even if it included the price of the new shocks its still too much... You shouldve done it yourself... Its not hard :D BUT IM GLAD YOU FIXED THE PROBLEM:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts