Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER XLE AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I'm going crazy! We all hate rattles and wind noise, that's why we buy Toyota's - so we don't have to deal with annoying stuff!

10-2018 Purchased my 2018 Highlander XLE AWD with second row captains chairs, and was really excited about the roof bars for skiing! About two months after we bought the car we started hearing a weird fluttering noise at about 70 MPH especially in cross winds. We had not yet put anything on the cross bars, we had not been skiing with our Thule when this started to occur. Brought it to the dealer and they said it was a loose cross bar, they tightened it - thank you very much. Then it loosened up again. Back to the dealer, I told them i was going to start using the cross bars with my Thule and they better please check it out. Again they said it was fixed. I went out to the car with the service manager and the bar was still moving around a bit. We walked over to four new Highlanders on the lot, no movement in the bars, and I demonstrated to them. They supposedly ordered and installed some new parts (CROSS BARS?) and now it's happening again.

Now I have Toyota involved directly and they are acting weird, different customer service reps calling me, I have explained to them at least four times what has happened, and I told them I want a new rack installed by another dealer.

According to the videos I have watched the cross bars are two different lengths, I think they had them switched and it tweaked something. All bolts are tight, the ones holding the mounts to the roof, and the four bolts per cross bar that come from the bottom.

The fluttering noise is driving me insane.

See the article from consumer affairs Model year 2017 Toyota Highlanders and Highlander Hybrids recalled

Please watch my video as follows - all bolts are tight

Please let me know what you think, or you have had any of these issues and any subsequent resolution.

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
25 Posts
A simple fix might be to disassemble, and reassemble adding silicone sealant to the areas where the cross member meets the bracket

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW - thanks guys / gals, especially for the service bulletin! Excellent - can't wait to get back on the phone with Toyota!

·
Registered
68 Posts
This does not look good to me for a few reasons. First, this is only a tech tip (T-TT) intended to help technicians make a repair. Second, most technical service bulletins (T-TS) will clearly list if the repair is covered by warranty so they may not repair for free. The third item I notice is that there is an expiration date for the tech tip. I'm not really sure what the expiration means but I'd guess it's based on build date.

Hopefully they make things right but I can see where a dealership won't want to fix this issue following the tech tip if they know Toyota is not going to reimburse them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next time I buy a car I'll buy a GM product so I can anticipate a lack of quality and poor service......this is situation is very un-Toyota like and if they don't help me out i will be going out of my way to let everybody know about it....

I really do appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Next time I buy a car I'll buy a GM product so I can anticipate a lack of quality and poor service......this is situation is very un-Toyota like and if they don't help me out i will be going out of my way to let everybody know about it....

I really do appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
Before you take my gloom and doom so seriously, if you’re within your bumper to bumper coverage period I would expect them to fix this at no cost to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah they did fix it....twice so far and it's loose for a third time. But I love the Toyota product, just not really find of my dealer. I could have got a better deal on the Highlander at several places, but i bought local for a few extra bucks so i had some support.....not so much.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Where is it loose? I just tightened my roof bars this week. They have pretty low torque specifications, like 6ftlb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everything is tight, watch the video - the mounts are tight, the bolts are tight, but it still rattles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Everything is tight, watch the video - the mounts are tight, the bolts are tight, but it still rattles.
I watched the video. The end caps rattle if your move then, they’re just appearance covers. The bars don’t rattle on mine. Have you tried a couple of washers on the screws you’re not supposed to tighten?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not. Not a bad idea. But I paid Toyota $42,000 for a new car, they have tried three times to fix the issue, they can't. The one end cap is loose from them popping it on and off so many times. Toyota is really being "ignorant" about the situation and becoming agitated. Could be a very nice long satisfying relationship coming to an end.....over a roof rack that cost them approx $75.00.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts