Discussion Starter · #1 ·

19.7 miles city driving (under 40)
27.6 freeway (65 mph -75 mph)
3 miles remaining in EV mode

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
1,063 Posts
You can get them you just have to pony up about $15 to $20K more than a regular hybrid RAV will cost. We looked into it. Decided that given our usage style we'd get about 75MPGe. As it is our regular RAV4 Ltd Hybrid is averaging close to 50mpg. We were able to buy ours at nearly $4k under sticker and even at full sticker had we bought a Prime we would have only been able to buy the LE as that would have stickered out at even more than our Limited did. So much as I would have liked a Prime it just was not worth the cost. Plus our illustrious guv wants to bring the registration cost up to $1500 yr for PHEV and EV cars. Deal breakers all for us

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
1,063 Posts
Odd. My dealer out here in podunk IL said they could if we wanted one. Either Prius or RAV but again. After comparing the math I just don't see it

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let’s do the math:

Rav 4 Prime SE weather package
$41,000
-$7,500 federal tax credit
$33,500 🤔

Looks like the SE is about the same price as the XLE hybrid

Russ

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
1,063 Posts
I got a Limited. Also was able to get every option you could put in it. And was able to get it under 40k I did the math. and I am still FAR ahead $$$ wise not getting the Prime. Plus I have every option I could ever want. Yeah I can't plug it in and drive awhile but at under $2 a gallon I can buy an AWFUL lot of gasoline. Hell for my driving needs gas would need to go to $7 a gallon or more to make it begin to make any sense

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I got a Limited. Also was able to get every option you could put in it. And was able to get it under 40k I did the math. and I am still FAR ahead $$$ wise not getting the Prime. Plus I have every option I could ever want. Yeah I can't plug it in and drive awhile but at under $2 a gallon I can buy an AWFUL lot of gasoline. Hell for my driving needs gas would need to go to $7 a gallon or more to make it begin to make any sense
Underwood,

Loaded XSE Prime $50,000 -$7,500 tax credit =$42,500

18.1 kWh battery $2,500 upgrade
Heat Pump $2,000 upgrade
19 inch polished aluminum wheels $750 upgrade
302hp vs 219 hp. $2,000 upgrade
9 inch display. $750 upgrade
Enhanced Suspension $750 upgrade
Increased towing capacity
Prime Carpooling lane $priceless

Enjoy your hybrid. It is a great automobile.

We own both the hybrid 2019 and Prime. I speak from experience. We are comparing apples to oranges. Completely different experience.

We both know if Biden is elected President cheap gas will be history and that is why I opted for the Prime.

Russ

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
1,063 Posts
What scares me more than expensive gas is no ammo. We honestly even with all you cite not be able to make use of the Prime. Plus the fact (though my dealer claimed they would not) many are charging up to $10k over sticker and getting it

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What scares me more than expensive gas is no ammo. We honestly even with all you cite not be able to make use of the Prime. Plus the fact (though my dealer claimed they would not) many are charging up to $10k over sticker and getting it
Underwood,

Agreed

I have ammo that I don’t dare shoot up now that ammo is two three times the price.

Crazy times we live in

Buckle up it will not be over on election night.

Attorneys will drag this election into the courts and I predict gas will go up up up if the outcome is Kamala Harris Green New Deal supporter and let’s be honest she will be acting President and she will kill off fracking and that will result in foreign oil dependence and $5 - $6 gasoline.

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
1,063 Posts
Yeah, of course. Buckling seat belts. It's gonna be a rough ride. Close to 70 years old and I never thought I would see nonsense like this

·
Registered
36 Posts
Let the gas engine run every so often, the repair guys say they have seen Prius primes where the gas engine was not run for a year causing lots of problems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let the gas engine run every so often, the repair guys say they have seen Prius primes where the gas engine was not run for a year causing lots of problems.
I just filled up the gasoline tank after 6 months 1 week

I drove 4,500 miles and 3,978 was in EV

The Prime tracks your gasoline usage and will periodically kick on gas while in EV for about 2 miles of my 28 mile commute then go back to EV for the remainder of the trip.

I have noticed with my fresh new tank of gasoline one week ago I have seen no gasoline engine kicking in but i expensive t that will resume as weeks and months progress.

Really is a smart automobile

Russ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts