Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a VW person but I noticed this thing about the RAV4 recently and I couldn't find any comments on any forums about it. I was behind one at a light and was surprised by how tiny the brake lights are! While the tail lights are the entire red area, the part that lights up for brake is just a tiny triangular area about 1 square inch. In bright sunlight they're barely visible. I don't know how well they work at night or dusk because this is the only time I've been behind a 5th gen Rav4

rav4_2000px.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is someone who's made a change to their default brake lights.

While this is a night pic, you can see all the lights that come on during braking.

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/toyota/rav4/2019/ot/2019_toyota_rav4_det_ot_1211186_717.jpg
Interesting! How do you do that? With Volkswagen Auto Group vehicles we can use VCDS or a similar program with a special OBD2 dongle and code the lights. For example I coded the hatch mounted lights on my Golf Alltrack to work as brake lights. But I can't find anything like that for Toyota

·
Registered
7 Posts
I misunderstood what you were asking.

Yes, the lights are small in size but they're much brighter than the picture you posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I misunderstood what you were asking.

Yes, the lights are small in size but they're much brighter than the picture you posted.
The picture shows what they look like in sunlight, almost invisible! During the night I'm sure they are more visible

I wonder if drivers of the Rav4 have noticed that following drivers react slower in stop and go

·
Registered
7 Posts
The picture shows what they look like in sunlight, almost invisible! During the night I'm sure they are more visible

I wonder if drivers of the Rav4 have noticed that following drivers react slower in stop and go
I own a 2019 XLE Premium and looked at many others, all during the day. I’ve seen the brake lights on (my wife on the pedal) and they don’t look as dim as those in the pictures.

There’s federal laws that regulate how bright brake lights must be (certain brightness level at specific distance behind vehicle) and toyota would have to comply.

I’m saying either the driver of this vehicle made a change or there’s something wrong with their Rav4.

·
Camry Freak
1,105 Posts
I've noticed too that some (emphasis on some) 2019 Rav4s have really dim brake lights when the driver steps on the brake. They also seem to have a problem that unless you are directly behind the Rav4, they aren't very bright at all... which is a problem if you are moving lanes and pulling behind the Rav4 and they suddenly brake. At night they are a bit more visible- but I've seen a handful of newer Rav4s that seem to have this problem. Not all of them- just some of them. Maybe it's something that only is noticeable in certain lighting conditions or something.

Do upgraded models have more than one LED on each side for brake lights? I know that parking lamps all illuminate well with the headlights on- but again- that single LED doesn't seem adequate or safe..

Here's a different YouTube video that shows you how an LE's rear lights work when driving... the guy is really annoying but if you skip to about the 4-minute mark- he pulls the SUV forward and then reverses it- and it really shows how dim those lights can be in certain conditions.

Again- Toyota says that all 2019 Rav4s have LED taillights- but I can't help but wonder if the LEDs are brighter or there are more of them on the higher trim models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts