1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Toyota Corolla since 2005
Toyota Corrola S
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who owns a RAV4
How do you like your Rav 4?

Tell us what year and why you think its good or not .

·
Registered
'08 RAV4 Limited
532 Posts
We have two 2008 RAV 4 V-6 models bought new. Her's is the typical Toyota, faithful like an old dog, never has a problem. Mine has been, and still is the most problematic car I've ever owned. I'm extremely glad I bought an extended warranty. Every maker makes a $hitty car and I got the RAV from hell. It happens. If there was any way I could afford to get rid of it and buy something else (NOT a Toyota) I would. Mine has just over 16,000 miles or about 25,750km +/_ .
Mine is a rare case so don't let it discourage you from buying a new one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have two 2008 RAV 4 V-6 models bought new. Her's is the typical Toyota, faithful like an old dog, never has a problem. Mine has been, and still is the most problematic car I've ever owned. I'm extremely glad I bought an extended warranty. Every maker makes a $hitty car and I got the RAV from hell. It happens. If there was any way I could afford to get rid of it and buy something else (NOT a Toyota) I would. Mine has just over 16,000 miles or about 25,750km +/_ .
Mine is a rare case so don't let it discourage you from buying a new one.
Sheesh man, that's not even broken in!!! What all could have gone wrong in 16,000 miles?!? Did you buy new or used? By my horrible math, you only put 2,667 miles on per year... do you do a lot of short trips? Has it sat for long periods of time without being driven?

·
Registered
'08 RAV4 Limited
532 Posts
As it says in my first sentence above "bought new". A short list........new transmission, new rear shocks, three batteries, air conditioner didn't cool, suspension pops under acceleration & deceleration, radio died, drivers seat frame broke, rear brakes replaced & rotors turned, oil line replaced, OEM Toyota battery broke open and leaked acid, incorrect rubber molding under hood, hood dances up & down on highway, RF fender kept coming loose from body (broken clips), plastic shield beneath engine came off, fuel pump replaced..........that is a PARTIAL list. Get the picture? Not to mention all of the recalls some of which are being recalled again but have no fix available.

Most was repaired under warranty and a loaner provided. Now the suspension is popping again and the LF halfshaft is suspect as it is clunking. The seat frame broke again and squeaks like mad. The transmission is beginning to whine again which is why it was replaced. Just goes to show that every manufacturer can make a POS!

Oddly I still enjoy driving it especially the potent V-6 but the continuing problems are getting old, very old. I'm stuck with it so the extended warranty will easily pay for itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2013 Rav4's suck!!! creature comforts suck, navigation sucks!!!
22,000 miles 14 months old, the ride is stiff but ok, good power to weight, seats are uncomfortable.
Drink holders are poorly designed front one hides seat heaters that do not automatically turn off and the rear one is covered by the sliding arm rest.
Very little storage up front, only one place to put your change, glasses etc... (and its small) other than the glove box.

I would wait if you really want one until they redo the interior and navigation/radio which sucks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
2009 RAV4 base model, 4 cylinder, 4WD:

Excellent: Reliability; versatility; price; overall fit and finish; engine design and power to weight ratio; transmission dipstick allows DIY transaxle service; driver vision, seating comfort and position; cabin design; low maintenance swing tail gate; performance in bad weather; dirt road handling; internet forums for information and advice

Very Good: Ability to do simple DIY routine maintenance

Good: Toyota.com/owners website for tracking vehicle maintenance and recalls; fuel economy

Fair: Ride comfort (suspension); noise level in cabin

Poor: Dealer shop quality/misinformation/knowledge; (this following complaint is not in regards to my vehicle, but only an overall observation): Corporate level some items should be covered by recalls/extended warranty for certain years of identified oil burning engines, transmission whining, differential couplings, exhaust system rust; inconsistency in extended coverage for items between Toyota Canada and Toyota USA

Overall: This is an outstanding and versatile vehicle which should suit a variety of owners. (IMO, if looking for used RAV, consider the 2009 to 2012.) The excellent vision and taller road profile adds a level of safety over many sedans. While not an off-road vehicle, it will handle gravel roads and excels in winter conditions as needed, another big safety feature. The ride is stiff, cabin is somewhat noisy, but can be mitigated with certain tires and sound-proofing. For the DIY mechanic, it has many routine items easy to do at home, and lots of information available on RAV4 forums. It is a fun car and has been top notch reliable for me over 5 years ownership, now about 67K miles

·
Registered
449 Posts
Bad: mediocre crash test ratings, stiff uncomfortable ride, engine noise, transmission shifting performance

So/so: fit-and-finish, fuel economy, seat comfort

Good: cargo space

Overall: not recommended

Based on 14 months, 16000 miles ownership, 2013 RAV4 LE AWD

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't call those test results excellent, good at best!!!
I would not buy a Rav4 again based on the interior designs and features, I think Toyota has a good track record with reliability but so does Honda, KIA, Nissan etc...
I wish I had not rushed into buying this vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts