Toyota Nation Forum banner

RAV4 FWD - OK in snow?

31K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  2win2rbo 
#1 ·
Hey all

I live in upstate New York where we average 110" of snow per winter (not all at once).

I drive a company provided vehicle and need to order a new one in the next couple days. One of the vehicles I am offered is the 2011 RAV4 Limited with front wheel drive. I have been looking at the RAV4 and am impressed nearly to the point of ordering it. The only hold back is that the other vehicle being offered is a 2011 Subaru Outback with AWD.

My question for you folks in this forum: Is anyone out there driving RAV4 FWD in a snowy area? How does the RAV4 FWD do in the snow. That is the ONE question keeping me from ordering right now, so any information anyone can provide would help. Please don't advise me to choose the AWD RAV4. Someone else is buying my car and they are NOT offering the RAV4 AWD. If they were, it would be a no-brainer.

Thanks.

#6 · (Edited)
The Outback with all seasons will actually be equal if not WORSE than the FWD Rav-4 if equipped with snow tires.

If you like the Rav better, get it and throw on 4 premium snows. It will be a mountain goat. I doubt there is going to be a NEED for all wheel drive, most of the time it's just used as a scare tactic to get women and old people to buy it for more $$. ("Snow = You need AWD or you'll die")

With this said, my main car is an '05 Subaru Legacy. It handles and brakes absolutely awful with all seasons in the winter, but with snows it's a dream come true. Get the Outback if you like it more and want to throw some tires at it - You'll be able to climb anything. I'm pretty sure it's been winning "Best SUV known to mankind" awards left and right since it's redesign in '10 too, so, it wouldn't be a bad buy.

#7 ·
I have a 2007 camry XLE V6 with ultra grip ice tires for winter. I can go tru just about anything and have even been thru snowbank where snow went over the hood and then roof. The RAV would have a little better clearance , but yes spend the money on snows and rims, its expensive but cheaper then a new fender. suggest stock for winter and then nice rims for summer. you wont regret it!!!!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.