Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a lot of research and listened to a few tire folks' advice regarding new tires for my 2017 RAV4 XLE. Talked myself into purchasing the new Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack. Pretty sticky and quiet tire....... below 50mph. At first I thought I was being too critical and hearing noise that really wasn't there, but it seems the tires get noisier when I get up to 60+mph and it doesn't matter what the surface is. I've had these for about 4 days now and I swear the faster I drive the noisier they get (I think they're noisier than the crappy Yokohamas that came with the SUV which didn't last 35,000 miles). I have 30 days to return the Bridgestones if I don't like them but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue with this model of tire. Originally I was looking at Michelin Defender T+H tires and now I'm wondering if I indeed made a mistake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did a lot of research and listened to a few tire folks' advice regarding new tires for my 2017 RAV4 XLE. Talked myself into purchasing the new Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack. Pretty sticky and quiet tire....... below 50mph. At first I thought I was being too critical and hearing noise that really wasn't there, but it seems the tires get noisier when I get up to 60+mph and it doesn't matter what the surface is. I've had these for about 4 days now and I swear the faster I drive the noisier they get (I think they're noisier than the crappy Yokohamas that came with the SUV which didn't last 35,000 miles). I have 30 days to return the Bridgestones if I don't like them but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue with this model of tire. Originally I was looking at Michelin Defender T+H tires and now I'm wondering if I indeed made a mistake.

Well, checked tire pressure on the new Bridgestones and they were right around 38psi. Sticker on my RAV indicates max for that size tire is 33psi so I backed the air down to 34 which did help some. Maybe I'll back that psi some more to 32psi and see how that works out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, checked tire pressure on the new Bridgestones and they were right around 38psi. Sticker on my RAV indicates max for that size tire is 33psi so I backed the air down to 34 which did help some. Maybe I'll back that psi some more to 32psi and see how that works out.
Well, took the Bridgestones back and swapped them for Michelins under my 30-day ride and try. MUCH better ride. Live and learn I guess.

·
Look beyond the marque
169 Posts
How many miles were on the QtTs before the swap? The Defender is a standard all season tire and the QuietTrack is a grand touring tire. Overall tread life vs overall traction in dry & wet. I had driven a car with a set of Defender T+H tires and didn't really care for them as the steering feel was vague and unpredicatable in the wet. Hence, I lean towards grand touring tires.

I am about to mount a set of QtTs on a '00 Avalon. I am going to give Bridgestone a shot after my experience with the short treadlife of the Michelin Premier A/S.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles were on the QtTs before the swap? The Defender is a standard all season tire and the QuietTrack is a grand touring tire. Overall tread life vs overall traction in dry & wet. I had driven a car with a set of Defender T+H tires and didn't really care for them as the steering feel was vague and unpredicatable in the wet. Hence, I lean towards grand touring tires.

I am about to mount a set of QtTs on a '00 Avalon. I am going to give Bridgestone a shot after my experience with the short treadlife of the Michelin Premier A/S.
I drove about 300 miles on the Bridgestone QTs. I was limited on the time at which I could exchange them for something else. Below 40mph, very quiet sticky tire. However, when I got up to 45+mph it's as if the tire morphed into hard rubber. They became very loud at highway speeds even louder that the crap Geolanders showing wear bars that I replaced. Didn't matter what the surface was either. It was quite a difference. So I replaced them with Michelin Lattitude XPs which are designed for SUVs. The difference was like night and day. I realize the Lattitudes have a lower milage rating but I go for comfort and quietness on my tires. I did have one of the tire guys go for a ride with me and he couldn't believe it either. So far I have not regretted my decision.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2019 RAV4 came with Michelin Premier A/S tires. I am a quiet and smooth ride person. These fit the bill. Last month I installed Michelin Latitude X ice-2 Winter tires. The difference between the two is: X ice has 1" wider tread, almost as quiet with a slightly stiffer ride, OK but not as soft as the Premier..Fuel milage wise could be less however as I am dealing with longer warm up times, Winter fuel, stiffer everything due to cold and more rolling resistance at times due to snow + slush. Absolutely no warming-up idling involved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts