Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel great and so does the taco. Changed the oil at 4000 miles on Thursday and I was ready for a drive.

I left St. Louis, MO at 5pm on Friday to go pick up a dirtbike(cr125) in Savanah, GA. Took a 3hr nap just pass Atlanta in the back of the access cab, woke up to two of Georgia's finest running my plates. They asked if everything was alright and went on their way. Picked the bike up 9am central time.

Started the trek home and got home at 8pm Sunday.:) The taco held up great, though I never got bettter than 18.5 miles per gallon. That was due to the speed I was cruising at and the cold weather I guess. 16 Mpg was the worst I did. I haven't had time to check my tire pressure since getting back, but at the beginning of the trip I had 45 psi checked 15 mins after driving. I probably could have used a little more air, but there was a little water on the road in St. Louis and I didn't want to lose traction if there was any ice(oem dunlops).


The bed cleats held surprisingly well even doing excess speeds through the the hills of Chatanooga, I still don't fully trust them, but they're still working.:D

I was pooped when I got back so I went to bed and woke up Sunday morning, Picked up two guys and 3 full sized dirtbikes( KTM 640, KTM 550 two stroke (I'm scared of this bike), and a KLX 650). Two facing forward and one facing backward ( ~900 lbs). Drove another 60 miles out and rode bikes until sunset.

This was a good weekend for the taco.
 

·
Official Misfit
2006
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
45 psi..isn't that a bit on the high side
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires are supposed to be checked cold so the actual psi is probably a little lower.

But I don't think that is too high, traction seemed fine, I'll just have to keep an eye on the wear.
 

·
french fried taters
Joined
·
546 Posts
45 psi does seem a bit much even 15 mins after driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When saying something is too high, too low, too expensive, too bright, too noisy, please quantify your answer with proof or an explanation.

Not that I don't believe you guys, but any one can say something is "too much" somehting.
 

·
Row Dialin'
Joined
·
2,832 Posts
ponq said:
When saying something is too high, too low, too expensive, too bright, too noisy, please quantify your answer with proof or an explanation.

Not that I don't believe you guys, but any one can say something is "too much" somehting.
Isn't the max pressure on your tires 44 psi?

Then 45 psi is what I would consider "too high".

edit: I don't know exactly what tires you have on your truck. The OEM Dunlops have a rating of 51 psi. However since the recommended pressure is 29, I wouldn't think you want to stray too much from that (maybe 5 or 6 psi) especially if you are towing around three bikes. That's a lot of load on those tires.
 

·
french fried taters
Joined
·
546 Posts
Not sure what tires you have but I have the 265/70/16 bf goodrich rugged trails and the recommended pressure in the doorsill says 29psi front/ 32 psi rear. Im sure a little more wouldnt hurt but 45 psi is quite a lot. Fifteen minutes after driving your pressure shouldnt be that jacked up from heat. Run what you want its your truck but Id be willing to bet after you get some miles on those tires that the middle of the tread will start wearing out from being overinflated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
boone88rr said:
Isn't the max pressure on your tires 44 psi?

Then 45 psi is what I would consider "too high".

edit: I don't know exactly what tires you have on your truck. The OEM Dunlops have a rating of 51 psi. However since the recommended pressure is 29, I wouldn't think you want to stray too much from that (maybe 5 or 6 psi) especially if you are towing around three bikes. That's a lot of load on those tires.
I still think I am alright with 45psi 15min after driving. If the max rating on the tires is 51psi as I thought it was I still feel it is fine.

Recomended psi's I thought were based on treadwear, traction, and the ability for the tire to hold an amount of air safely.

Many people air down their tires for traction whether it be for offroad or cold road conditions. The result of using the low psi on the highway is generally poor mpg and treadwear, but I know people have done it for the conditions they face.

For this trip I raised the psi below the max rating, but above the recomended rating. I may get poor center treadwear and lower traction, but I still haven't seen any proof that I am doing anything "bad".

Now of coarse I was looking for increase gas mileage. I believe I may have proved myself wrong in that case, however so many things must be taken into account when trying to come to a conclusion (temperature, precip., wind, velocity, driver habit, road condition, hill grade, road curvature) that more observations are required. I don't read well and I prefer to experience and determine things after observation.

Plus the whole spirit of the thread has been lost to this minor component to the whole story. I haven't searched, but I am sure there are plenty of tire pressure threads to discuss this in, if not one should be started.
 

·
french fried taters
Joined
·
546 Posts
""Plus the whole spirit of the thread has been lost to this minor component to the whole story. I haven't searched, but I am sure there are plenty of tire pressure threads to discuss this in, if not one should be started."" Agreed.
 

·
french fried taters
Joined
·
546 Posts
Three dirtbikes? Man I bet that was a bed full. Did you use the bed cleats to secure all three?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You!

Two bed cleats in the front of the bed held all of the bikes. It was very tight and the bike in the middle was held in place by the two outer bikes, we ran webbing through the back wheel and the front wheel so the bike in the middle couldn't fly out the back, but that was it..

The bed was easily sagging at least two inches, which raised the headlight beam, but there was no hitting of the bump stops even on the dirt roads.
 

·
french fried taters
Joined
·
546 Posts
Two inches of sag doesnt seem bad for that much weight in the bed. Havent had anything heavier than a picnic table in the bed of mine so far. And all Ive pulled is my Yamaha Grizzly 660. Couldnt tell either one was there, havent got to put it to a real test yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
The pressure rating on the tire is max. (cold), so when your tire warms up the pressure will safely rise above the max.(cold) pressure. The pressure rating for dunlops is 44psi max.cold the factory reccomended pressure is 29 front and 29 rear. that is fine with no load, however if you are hauling a load such as 3 dirt bikes, you should increase the pressure in your tires to support the extra weight. I typically run 36psi front and 34psi rear(front has more weight) with no load or more psi with a load. This will give better fuel economy without (in my opinion) any adverse effects.
 

·
Official Misfit
2006
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
but but but, the psi was mentioned as part of the orginal post :D

anyways sound like a fun trip, even if the tires were over inflated :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
T-Will said:
The pressure rating on the tire is max. (cold), so when your tire warms up the pressure will safely rise above the max.(cold) pressure. The pressure rating for dunlops is 44psi max.cold the factory reccomended pressure is 29 front and 29 rear. that is fine with no load, however if you are hauling a load such as 3 dirt bikes, you should increase the pressure in your tires to support the extra weight. I typically run 36psi front and 34psi rear(front has more weight) with no load or more psi with a load. This will give better fuel economy without (in my opinion) any adverse effects.
The owners manual says nothing about increasing the tire pressure to support extra weight, where is this coming from? Only overinflation recommendation is for speeds in excess of 100mph, increase by 3psi

In my 28 years of tire ownership during which I have always filled my tires to 1-2psi below max I have never seen any wear in the center as so many repeat. All my vehicles including this one have had fairly narrow 215/70 type tires which may not see as much center "bulge" as wide tires? Underinflated tires definitely wear faster on the outside and destroy the handling, but I've seen no negative to overinflating.
 

·
N/A bites
Paseo
Joined
·
5,859 Posts
You should have said something about coming this way, it's always nice to meet fellow TN'rs. Glad to hear you had a safe trip. The 'boys in blue' don't mess around.
 

·
Registered
15 RAV4 LE AWD
Joined
·
334 Posts
ponq said:
I was pooped when I got back so I went to bed and woke up Sunday morning, Picked up two guys and 3 full sized dirtbikes( KTM 640, KTM 550 two stroke (I'm scared of this bike), and a KLX 650). Two facing forward and one facing backward ( ~900 lbs). Drove another 60 miles out and rode bikes until sunset.

This was a good weekend for the taco.
:banger: Any weekend you can go ridding is a good weekend man! RIDE RED!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Overinflating your tires can cause premature wear at the center of your tires- common knowldege-. I've read it many times and seen it a few. Worst case I've seen a friend of mine had put oversized D rated tires on a jeep inflated to the max. cold 60psi. You could see that about 1" on each side of tire didn't touch the ground. We talked about it he went back to the tire store they told him to drop the pressure to 30psi. Problem solved.
In my 26 years of tire ownership I have frequently increased the pressure to haul heavy loads (never exceeding max cold). To get the best wear out of your tires the load on the tire needs to be as evenly spread out as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
T-Will said:
Overinflating your tires can cause premature wear at the center of your tires- common knowldege-. I've read it many times and seen it a few. Worst case I've seen a friend of mine had put oversized D rated tires on a jeep inflated to the max. cold 60psi. You could see that about 1" on each side of tire didn't touch the ground. We talked about it he went back to the tire store they told him to drop the pressure to 30psi. Problem solved.
In my 26 years of tire ownership I have frequently increased the pressure to haul heavy loads (never exceeding max cold). To get the best wear out of your tires the load on the tire needs to be as evenly spread out as possible.
I don't know what oversized D rated tires are, but my comments did mention standard 215/70 size, wouldn't be surprised if some tires do bulge as you describe.

I'm not questioning the logic of increasing pressure with heavy hauling, I'm surprised the Tacoma manual says NOTHING about it though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tercel GTS said:
You should have said something about coming this way, it's always nice to meet fellow TN'rs. Glad to hear you had a safe trip. The 'boys in blue' don't mess around.
It was kind of a quick in and out so I could ride on the beautiful Sunday in St. Louis. For some reason I go to GA often whether it be for car/ motorcycle stuff, or running through to FL.

It was a fun weekend, and I can't wait to get the CR125 on the track. :clap:
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top