Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem, my subs are hitting weird, as in a constant beat not to the music, but they still hit on the bass. I had previously cut the rca jack wires and hooked the wires up to my speakers in back. Finally decided to run them to my stereo, so I had to splice them back together. Is this a problem, like will it somehow mess up the frequency, or might it be my amp is messed up? Any help or advice is appreciated. By the way, I'm only using 2 channels on a 4 channel amp, is there any problem with this either? Thanks.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
what subs are they, which direction are they pointing. what amp are you running.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subs are 2 10inch pioneers in sealed bandpass box. Facing towards the back of my car, in the trunk. They're 450 watt max for each.
The amp I got for really cheap, it's a 300 watt X 4 channel Extreme by Cuspid, model AM-4320. I know it's probably not that good, but I thought I would try it since it was so cheap. I might buy a new amp if new RCA jacks don't fix the problem.
All my wiring is correct, I checked every connection, and they are all good.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Save some more money and get a JBL off ebay. Well your problem could be delay, your subs have to go through the bandpass then towards the back bounce off the back to you, so you are getting a delay by a few milaseconds. ditch the bandpass and put them in a sealed enclosure, it will reduce the delay.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definately not a delay.... It does the same thing with the trunk open and you're face is within a foot of it.... Thanks for the help though. I think I'll just end up getting a new amp.

·
JL Fanatik
42 Posts
Check the filter switch. I did that once when i was fooling around with my amp. Sound went from good to just, "wierd" as you put it.

Could just be the jacks. Dunno

That amp looks like it doesnt power that 800 watts... ( maybe just me)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a similar problem with a delay or echo in the subs when they pound.

It turned out to be a few things:
1. The shitty amp I was using didn't handle the voltage my Sony ES deck was putting out over the RCA cables, even at it's lowest gain setting.
2. I was using rca cables that had been patched more times then I care to admit.

I ran new rca cables and got an adapter that converted line level to high level... so the rca cable went into an adapter, and speaker wires came out, which attached to the high (or speaker) level inputs on the amp. (if you look at the pictures of the amp on ebay, it's got high level inputs too. not all amps have em.)

Worked flawlessly after all that.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got some new RCA jacks, those didn't fix the problem, probably the shitty amp I have. I don't want to buy another shitty amp, but I don't want to pay for the name, like Fosgate. I searched and found JBL, Hifonics, and Audiobahn to be good names. I found a good deal on an 800watt MAX, Legacy amp, and I would get it, but I haven't heard anything good or bad about Legacy amps.... Here are the specs:

· 800 Watts Max Power
· 2 X 400 Watts Power Per Channel
· Full Mosfet Power Supply
· Chrome Top Plate With Plexi glass Insert
· Remote Bass/Sub Control
· Variable Gain Control
· Remote On/Off
· Gold Plated RCA Inputs
· Hi/Low Level Inputs
· Variable Bass/Treble Boost
· Built-In High/Low Crossovers
· Tri-Mode Capable
· Dimensions: 11.5" X 2" X 9.5"

Thanks for all your help.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Dude, stay away from that stuff

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's wrong with Legacy? I ended up buying a Rockford Fosgate 900 watt amp. But wouldn't getting a cheaper amp just drop the sound quality a little? My friend has a 1000 watt legacy and it sounds fine. Well thanks for the help, hopefully the Fosgate will work well.

·
Grenaded piston
6,583 Posts
Ostornadoe said:
What's wrong with Legacy?
Uhhh... Legacy is down there with the flea market stuff.

You get what you pay for. Theres a reason why good amps cost a lot.

I have 2 Linear Power amps (2502iq and 8002sw). The 2502iq is about $600 retail and the 8002sw is about $1300 retail.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
If you want bang for your buck amps, get JBL, Hifonics, Avionixx, these amps are waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than legacy, up there with rockford, actually I think the Avionixx is better than RF.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does this happen when the car is running or just when the ignition is turned on?
It happens all the time when I try and play music with the subs hooked up.
I probably should have done some a lot more research about amps and subs and stuff before I got mine. I figured since I could wire them up, there wouldn't be any problem. Got some new RCA Jacks and whenever the Fosgate comes in, I'll hook it up and let you guys know how it works.
Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
had to chime in!

i now this thread is dirt old but i was doin a search for the amp this guy used and it came up on google. the problem your having is called feedback. whats happening is that you have your rca connected directly to the speaker wire. see a speaker is just like a mic and when your subs hit it makes the rear deck speakers move. causing them to send a signal through the rca back to the amp and finally back through your subs. see how this can be a bad cycle to have happening. what you really need is a line level converter. you can get them at radioshack bestbuy or any car audio store. i happened to get this amp free when i bought some subs off someone. im goning to use mine on mids and highs as theres know way this tiny amp is gonna push 1200w cleanly on the demands subs make. ;)

·
Registered
06 tundra DC
27 Posts
thats what i was going to suggest but i think in his original post he said he first had them wired into the speakers then changed it an ran his rca's back up to the front after splicing them together. first of all go buy some new rcas .and as far as the noise a constant thump could be caused by a faulty capacitor on the input stage of the amp. a cap always take the same amount of time to charge thats why they are used in timer cicuits when it dicharges it could create the thump on the input . just an educated guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts