Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a pristine 1995 JDM Toyota Cynos (Paseo) Alpha Juno with the 1.3L 4E-FE engine and 4-speed C140 manual transmission. The Cynos has logged only 33,101 miles and was purchased at ‘The Import Guys’ in Ferndale, Washington, whom I highly recommend.

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle Tire

Car Vehicle Mirror Motor vehicle Steering part

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold

The ‘95 Cynos will serve as my part-time Daily Driver, spirited canyon-carver and an occasional Track-day toy.

The purpose of this thread is to document and share the modifications, results and ultimately the path that I take modifying this vehicle.
So, it should be interesting or, at the very least, somewhat entertaining.

But first, have you driven an authentic RHD JDM vehicle?
Well, up until a couple days ago, I hadn’t.

It’s definitely awkward and takes a little getting used to. I initially thought shifting with my left hand would be the oddest thing I’d encounter while driving this car but, it’s not.
Hilariously, using the turn signal and windshield wipers take the most getting used to. They’re on the opposite sides! The windshield wipers are on the left and the turn signals are on the right. I found myself constantly hitting the wipers when trying to signal. It’s quite frustrating but, ultimately, pretty darn funny too.

What about the rear view mirror? Well, that’s weird too. Instead of looking to the right, you have to look left. Doesn’t sound like much, but it’s the little things that make the driving experience so different. Plus, there’s no indication of MPH, only KPH, so I have absolutely no idea how fast I’m going. Apparently, on my first drive home, I was driving pretty fast according to co-workers. US spec cars typically have MPH with KPH markers, not so here.

Quite possibly the most dangerous aspect of driving a RHD vehicle on US roads is making sure you position the car properly in your lane and you don’t cross over into oncoming traffic. It can be a challenge but, I got this!

I’m very much enjoying the driving experience and thought I’d share.

The only issue I’ve identified thus far with the vehicle, is a vibration felt through the steering wheel at idle.
I’ll be resolving this issue with new engine mounts, the rear mount being the main culprit.

Alright! Let’s get on with it! On to the real point of this thread, modifications!!!

I will be adding and I have on order;

Wheels/Tires
Suspension
Shift Knob
Steering Wheel
Stereo
Seats

In addition to the modifications listed above, I’ll be adding a Custom Turbo Setup with Intercooler and Exhaust which will very likely be tuned by a Standalone ECU I previously purchased for another project.

I’ll be working on this vehicle in my spare time so it’s difficult to determine when or how often I’ll be updating the thread but I hope to keep it moving forward on a regular basis.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned…

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a pristine 1995 JDM Toyota Cynos (Paseo) Alpha Juno with the 1.3L 4E-FE engine and 4-speed C140 manual transmission. The Cynos has logged only 33,101 miles and was purchased at ‘The Import Guys’ in Ferndale, Washington, whom I highly recommend.

View attachment 357663

View attachment 357664

View attachment 357665

View attachment 357666

The ‘95 Cynos will serve as my part-time Daily Driver, spirited canyon-carver and an occasional Track-day toy.

The purpose of this thread is to document and share the modifications, results and ultimately the path that I take modifying this vehicle.
So, it should be interesting or, at the very least, somewhat entertaining.

But first, have you driven an authentic RHD JDM vehicle?
Well, up until a couple days ago, I hadn’t.

It’s definitely awkward and takes a little getting used to. I initially thought shifting with my left hand would be the oddest thing I’d encounter while driving this car but, it’s not.
Hilariously, using the turn signal and windshield wipers take the most getting used to. They’re on the opposite sides! The windshield wipers are on the left and the turn signals are on the right. I found myself constantly hitting the wipers when trying to signal. It’s quite frustrating but, ultimately, pretty darn funny too.

What about the rear view mirror? Well, that’s weird too. Instead of looking to the right, you have to look left. Doesn’t sound like much, but it’s the little things that make the driving experience so different. Plus, there’s no indication of MPH, only KPH, so I have absolutely no idea how fast I’m going. Apparently, on my first drive home, I was driving pretty fast according to co-workers. US spec cars typically have MPH with KPH markers, not so here.

Quite possibly the most dangerous aspect of driving a RHD vehicle on US roads is making sure you position the car properly in your lane and you don’t cross over into oncoming traffic. It can be a challenge but, I got this!

I’m very much enjoying the driving experience and thought I’d share.

The only issue I’ve identified thus far with the vehicle, is a vibration felt through the steering wheel at idle.
I’ll be resolving this issue with new engine mounts, the rear mount being the main culprit.

Alright! Let’s get on with it! On to the real point of this thread, modifications!!!

I will be adding and I have on order;

Wheels/Tires
Suspension
Shift Knob
Steering Wheel
Stereo
Seats

In addition to the modifications listed above, I’ll be adding a Custom Turbo Setup with Intercooler and Exhaust which will very likely be tuned by a Standalone ECU I previously purchased for another project.

I’ll be working on this vehicle in my spare time so it’s difficult to determine when or how often I’ll be updating the thread but I hope to keep it moving forward on a regular basis.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned…

Mike
It is so funny to hear about you getting used a right hand drive car, here in Australia, all our cars are right hand drive, so importing from Japan is easy as they drive on the left like we do...

·
Registered
2 Posts
By the way - isn't that a 96? First of that 2nd Gen. Plus it should be a 5EFE, if you're lucky it's a 5EFHE. 1.5 ltr. If you are trying to do 35mph in the states, it's 60kph. If you are doing highway speeds of 55 - that's 100kph, if it's 65mph more like 110kph, just so you keep to the speed limit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way - isn't that a 96? First of that 2nd Gen. Plus it should be a 5EFE, if you're lucky it's a 5EFHE. 1.5 ltr. If you are trying to do 35mph in the states, it's 60kph. If you are doing highway speeds of 55 - that's 100kph, if it's 65mph more like 110kph, just so you keep to the speed limit.
Typically, the new models are released in Japan and the following year, those vehicles are distributed to other worldwide markets.
So this vehicle is a first year model Gen2 1995 EL52 Cynos/Paseo.

Font Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Vehicle

It’s definitely a 4E-FE 1.3L and C140 4-speed manual. It is the 4-speed manual that took me by surprise…I thought that all EL52’s were 5-speed manual.
I’m not scared of the 1331cc engine. It shares most of its components with the 4E-FTE turbo engine from the Starlet GT.

I’ll get the 4E-FE to make power!
Or, I have an ST202 3S-GE BEAMS VVTI Red-Top engine/transmission in the garage that I could always throw in. ;)

It’s temporary but, I used a MPH/KPH conversion and put stickers on my Speedo indicating speeds every 10 MPH. I’m sure in time, I’ll be able to read speed without the stickers.

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is so funny to hear about you getting used a right hand drive car, here in Australia, all our cars are right hand drive, so importing from Japan is easy as they drive on the left like we do...
Right! Definitely easy for you guys in Australia!

I guess a couple reasons driving the RHD Cynos is odd for me, is that I've been driving LHD vehicles all my life. Furthermore, I switch between driving the Cynos and my other LHD vehicles and I think the switching between LHD/RHD complicates the learning process. Regardless though, it's fun and I enjoy it...even if I make an ass out of myself. :D

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Cynos build has officially begun!!!

Today I added a Momo ‘Race’ steering wheel and a Voodoo shift knob.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Plant Gear shift

These two modifications, albeit small, have an enormous impact on driving experience and enjoyment. The steering wheel and shift knob are two components you are constantly interacting with and I want those items to be comfortable and familiar.
That’s why I chose these two specific additions; style and manufacture.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts