Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Camburger
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to recolor the interior plastic panels in a older car. Short of using spray paint, does anyone know of a different method to color such parts? Maybe a dye of some sort?I used a spray paint from a auto shop and the paint peeled off and bubbled up in the heat.:(
Perhaps you guys know of a better paint to use. I am painting these parts because they have faded over the years and my brother and I are trying to restore the rust bucket in to stock condition.:) Thanks

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
armour-all or similar vinyl reviver usually also works really well on plastic.. dont use it on the steering wheel tho cus it's basically just oil and is really slippery..

·
The Camburger
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh also some of the panels are cracked and i got replacements real cheap at a junkyard, but they are a different color altogether, so I figured to do them all one color. I used a rit dye for the carpeting in the trunk and it looks real nice. The vinal seats are all ripped in thousands of places. Got them re-upholstered for 1000Rupees :lol: in real leather. looks good. Would you recommend using a primer coat on the plastic? if so, white, grey or black. the color i am painting the parts is a dark burgandy color.

·
The Camburger
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here s a picture of the color and what it looks like so far. the center console has been repainted and the paint has peel and bubbled

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
the thing i recommend doing (try this in a rather inconspicous spot first)... sand it back a little to get rid of the smooth finish first, as that will be the main problem. Use a fairly fine paper too, prime with a grey, then paint with burgendy... hi-temp engine paint if you can.. if not, outdoor paint wil probably do the trick..

·
nub
313 Posts
i dont know if you tried this or not, it doesn't sound like you have.

but when you paint the parts, you have to clean them like crazy. my friend used wax/grease remover to clean the parts, rough them up a bit with a scotch brite pad, then clean them again and let them dry before you paint.

if you did that before and it still bubbled, i dont know, maybe low quality paint. my friend's is all black so i dont know how red could be any hotter than that, even though you are a bit more south than us.

also, make sure the paint you are using is for plastics/vinyl because your interior bends and stretches alot, especially in the heat so regular spray paint will tend to crack/peel

·
Registered
4 Posts
are you useing pant? or are you useing the spray die that they sell in spray pant forum????

·
Searchin & Lurkin
25 Posts
I think they sell a primer spray paint specifically for plastics (it adheres to the plastic somehow), once that dries use whatever spraypaint you want. I'd use fine sandpaper first on the plastic before the plastic primer, then paint, I did this on an old front grill and it worked great. Should work better for the interior then just spraypainting it.

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
^ the paint you are thinking of is called Fusion made by Krylon which is specifically made to adhere to plastic. works really well, but you do have to clean the plastic very well before spraying.
you can find it at wal-mart for $4 - 5 bux a can :thumbup:

i have painted exterior plastic parts with it & no bubbling/peeling out in the TX sun all day 100 degrees +

Keri

1 - 10 of 10 Posts