Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Intermittent Starter turn-over

Another Challenge guys,

My 4 cylinder, carbed, conventional distributor 1300CC Corolla's starter sometimes does not turn over. It's intermittent. But each time the engine is cold, it turns over almost instantly when I turn on the key, but when it is warm, sometimes it turns over and sometimes it does not.

Whenever it turns over, I noticed that the battery light and oil light slightly dims but if it does not turn over, the battery and oil light does not dim at all.

I also tried to turn the engine (manually by hand) when it is not turning over and found out that I can turn it by hand.

Any ideas?

Rey

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does, I can gear it when it is turning over and the car can move for at least 2 feet. The battery is brand new.

·
Not so Noob now!
564 Posts
It sounds like you probably have the famous "clicker" syndrome...

Your Nippondenso starter needs the solinoid contacts replaced. It's a fairly simple/inexpensive fix. You should be able to get the repacement contacts for $10 to $15.

·
Not so Noob now!
564 Posts
I would guess it might have something to do with thermal expansion. Of the two contacts one "wears down" faster than the other so when they are warm it exaggerates the difference. Usally when you turn the key the solinoid plunger is pulled up against the contacts completing the circuit to the starter motor at the same time it engages the starter teeth to the flywheel. If the plunger doesn't get good surface contact against both of the contacts you only get the teeth engaged into the flywheel thus the "Click" is the sound of the solinoid.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow ! I never thought of that! But it does'nt even click whenever
this stupid intermittent problem appears. No sound no energy drain ( based on the dash lights and even head light).

I really need your help, one time, I got stranded with my family and with my new born child.

SOS!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok for the benefit of the Toyota owners, I have found the problem.

1. The wire going to the solonoid switch of the starter was placed very near the exhaust manifold as a result, the wire was toasted.

2. The connection going to the solonoid was loose.

Thanks a lot guys..
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trecko02,

You need some trouble shooting procedures:

Make an extra line from the starter solunoid switch, trim the other end and tape it so that it wont touch the ground.
If the intermittent problem occurs ( the starter does not turn over) then un tape the other end of the wire and put it directly on the + side of the battery, if the starter turns over, the starter is good, if not, the solonoid switch or starter is bad: remove it and bring it to a qualified motor rewinding shop.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stupid cats, I have found another problem which causes the starter not to tick, it those cats resting inside my hood, they messed up with the relay connections!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts