Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the head gasket, valve seals/burnt valves, and anything else I could get to on my 92 tercel. That made it start and run a bit better, the only problem is it is now going thru about a quart of oil every 200 miles. The smoke is embarissing and heavier the higher in the rpm range you go. My question is can I put new rings in this 3ee motor from the bottom only so I dont have to spend another $110 on a head gasket and head bolts again?? The car doesnt have the original motor in it so I have no idea of the miles on it which made me assume that the rings would be fine at the time of head gasket replacement. Boy was I wrong!! The odmeter says 156K and everything else works good, tires good, body has little to no rust and I have around $800 total in the car. Is it even worth putting new rings in??

·
Registered
510 Posts
You have to pull the head to get the pistons out, and you have to hone it when you install new rings or it will burn just as much oil as before.If you hone it in the car with the crank in place, you will get alot of junk (grit, metal,carbon ) down into your main bearings.

Its way easier to remove the engine.

You can reuse the head bolts if they are still in spec.

If you pull the engine, have the cylinder bores measured and if they are way out, a re- ring is a waist of time and money . Get a re-bore and oversized pistons. You will know if you need to as soon as you pull the head, by looking at the top of the cylinders and seeing if there is a ridge. If there is then its re-bore time.

Its not what other people think your car is worth( blue book ) , but what it is worth to you. If its a nice looking car and you spend a little to rebuild, you will have a good car for a lot less than a new one.

You can get NPR oversized piston and ring sets for about $90 , and the rebore and hone for about $100-150

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
i bought a remanufctured engine, so i blew a lot of money , if you can do it urself then do it. its quite worth it

On ebay they got rebuilt kits for tercel at 250$ including rings oil pump pistons and gaskets i think, if ur wannt to look into that.

first time we pulle engine with crane hoist, but now we made a engine lift ou of wood thats on top of a scaffolding, with a simple hand winch to go up and down its so ez , use what u got

white smoke is valves, lots of grey and blue smoke is pistons - especially at higher RPM. You need to replace those suckas

On ebay FULL GASKET SET = 40$ free shipping or so, it has head gasket, oilpan small gaskets, valves, i have TWO, one for each time i replaced engine, u have to replace em, head bolts im not sure, but they DO strech, at least an INCH, so old ones might not be useable that well. My new engine came with DIFFERENT looking headbolts, i think the rebuilder company used custom ones, they are much better, look thicker.

if u search on ebay i think i saw HEAD BOLTS for 15$ or so, search around.

If you need em bad, you can try autozoneor somecrap, they will have em fast if 2 days at most, so u can save time. but id avoid em if u have time.

Buy a 40$ PSI gauge set to check COMPRESSION in pistons, and stick that into ur sparkplugs and crank it without firing pisons, it should tell you what condition the rings are, but my guess is BAD. All this info can be found in HAYNES manual for ur car, id get one right way, its awesome.

hope that helps

·
Banned
93 tercel
430 Posts
white smoke is valves, lots of grey and blue smoke is pistons - especially at higher RPM.

White smoke is usually caused by coolant water or antifreeze not the valves.
And the end result is usually the head gasket.

grey smoke means its running too rich = too much fuel . ... blue smoke means engine wear burning oil.
black smoke means excess fuel in the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pretty certain that the rings are the issue, but I will do a compression check with my $135 matco compreesion test kit. I talked to my MAC tools salesman yesterday who goes to every brand car dealer around and said that GM makes some stuff to put in cylinders that is bad to the bone to free up stuck rings because it was such a big issue with northstar motors. I failed to mention that the Tercel sat for over 2 years before I bought it, and when I had the head off there was no where ring in the cylinders so I'm thinking I will try the stuff from GM first. I kinda figured the head would have to come back off but it never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
510 Posts
What is the name of the stuff? Its worth a try.

Yes , it sounds like your rings, you just replaced your valve seals and that is ALOT of oil unless your leaking alot too.

What is the milage ? I have seen cars that sat for long periods that have ring problems, usually rusting to the cyliners and then not sealing.

I have not heard of a ring sticking problem in these engines unless the oil never got changed.

If you change the rings without a hone the rings wont seat especialy if the bores are worn( no hone marks, out of round, taperd) and you will still burn alot oil. If the cyliners are worn way out of spec ( oversized, taperd, out of round) even a hone and new rings will not fix the oil burning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
checked on the stuff from gm. it is only avab at the cadilac dealer and it is $65-(way too much!!) unless rings and machine work was more than what I'm seeing. The front crank shaft seal is only leaking enough to make the area around it damp(no puddles). I have no idea of the miles on the motor, but the cam, rocker arms and every thing else I checked out when the head was off all looked excelent so I assume that the oil was changed fairly often?? Dont have the money to fix it anyway so I will dump oil in for the mean time. Cars new nick name at work is "old smokie" and it has became fun to talk about, so I'll get back with you all later on.. Thanks to all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.