Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2009 Highlander 4WD V6 and was browsing through the Toyota maintance schedule that came with it. I found it refreshingly simple compared to my wife's Honda and most of the other vehicles I have owned. But why the frequent retorque of these bolts(I guess they mean bolts although it says bolt). I can't recall any of my other cars or trucks (4WD or 2WD) requiring this.

Ken

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's in the 2009 Highlander maintainence

Thanks for replying. Toyota apparently added this for 2009. When I looked at the link you provided which was for the 2008 model, the re-torque bolt item wasn't there. When I changed the year to 2009, there it was. Maybe they have had reports of problems. And it is in the booklet that came with it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Those bolts are located in the stern, and require 250 ft/lb of torque. Its the shaft that holds your propeller on. HA! Its the bols around the drive shaft where they meet the universal joint. Dont know the torque specs.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks for replying. Toyota apparently added this for 2009. When I looked at the link you provided which was for the 2008 model, the re-torque bolt item wasn't there. When I changed the year to 2009, there it was. Maybe they have had reports of problems. And it is in the booklet that came with it.
It's in the maintenance section of my 2008 Hybrid...so not just 2009. In addition, the hybrids do not have a driveshaft to the rear wheels...?!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wonder if those of us that own a 2008 model should be doing this as well.

·
Registered
2012 Highlander
198 Posts
Propeller shaft bolts

Hello everyone

I have noticed in my 2012 Highlander service recommendations that starting at 16000km (10000 miles) and every 16000km after, the "propeller shaft bolts" need to be tightened (with a $25 charge). Is anyone familiar with this service? Do these bolts constantly loosen over time and cannot be permanently tightened like the rest of the bolts on the car? What do these bolts do and is this a safety concern? Is this a Toyota recomended service or a dealer added service/cost?
Thanks

***merged with pre-existing thread on topic, sweeneyp***

·
Resident Nutcase
'08 Highlander Limtd
12,173 Posts
Well that's interesting, it must be a new 2011+ HL service requirement. My 08 service manual does not mention the shaft bolts, but the one for the 2011-2012 does for the 4WD HL (but it says only if you tow or are on dirt roads often.) Most dealers I've been to automatically check those options for any service. Before I used my HL for towing (before it even had a hitch) I saw them check the box that I tow with my highlander...I don't understand dealers :lol:

Anyway summing it up, it listed that re-torquing is required every 15k miles, but if used for towing or used on dirt roads, its listed every 5k miles.

·
Registered
2018 HL Limited
181 Posts
Sweeney, I'm glad you defined this procedure as for "4WD". I assume this procedure refers to the prop shaft driving the rear differential. I was wondering how in heck I would even find the 2WD prop shaft bolts under all that confusion up front. :eek:

·
Resident Nutcase
'08 Highlander Limtd
12,173 Posts
And FWIW, here's a past thread that talks about re-torquing those bolts.
well shoot, I didn't even know that thread existed, it was "before my time" :lol: I'll merge them, thanks.

edit: hytec,
yep this is for the prop shaft heading to the rear diff. The front setup is a bit different, there aren't really any bolts directly on the front drive shafts to re-torque down, they are just kinda held "in place" by other components. But your right, working/finding anything in the front is a pain :lol:

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
well shoot, I didn't even know that thread existed, it was "before my time" :lol: I'll merge them, thanks.
Sometimes it scares me that I remember these old threads....:facepalm:

:lol:

Hope the OP can find it useful....

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,139 Posts
I do wonder why they need to be re-torqued. We have this same requirement on the Tacoma every 15K miles IIRC, and yet I've never heard of one being loose. Then there's the debate on procedure. Do you simply check that they don't need to be tightened more, or do you break them loose and re-torque them? FWIW, I do the former. And I quit checking them so often since they've never come loose.

Since I haven't been underneath the HL yet (will be in the not too distant future for the rear diff and TC fluid changes), do the u-joints have zerks or are they sealed? (Toyota uses both on the Tacoma: 4wd has zerks, 2wd has no zerks)

·
Resident Nutcase
'08 Highlander Limtd
12,173 Posts
Since I haven't been underneath the HL yet (will be in the not too distant future for the rear diff and TC fluid changes), do the u-joints have zerks or are they sealed? (Toyota uses both on the Tacoma: 4wd has zerks, 2wd has no zerks)
going to go with sealed. I saw nothing related to zerks or having to use grease on the install, inspection, or reassembly of the prop shafts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
54 ftlbs where it connects to the rear diff and where the 2 prop shafts connect in the center.
sweeneyp,

haven't looked under my Highlander, but does it need to be torqued where it meets the transfer case? If its anything like my old Rav, there were 4 bolts at the diff, 4 at the tsfr case, and 2 in the center.

·
Registered
254 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts