1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
TRD Guy
588 Posts
:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
That's some nice work, the welds look pretty smooth, did you weld them yourself and use an angle grinder to smooth them?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks

yeah i welded them, first time welding beside practicing on scrap.

yep i used a grinder to smooth it out.

i still need to paint it or something because its already starting to rust... how does one polish steel??? do i jsut sand it??
is there something i can put on it so it wont rust??? like wax??

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
wontonjohnny said:
i still need to paint it or something because its already starting to rust... how does one polish steel??? do i jsut sand it??
Just sand it. Start off with something like 80 - 100 grit sandpaper and work your way up to 1500 - 2000 grit sandpaper.

After that you use buffing pads. They come in different sizes for air die grinders to big ol grinders.

You can get the buffing pads from a welding supply shop.

is there something i can put on it so it wont rust??? like wax??
Theres metal sealer, but the one I'm thinking of (Zoop Seal) works with aluminum, brass, and stainless steel. Doesn't say anything about mild steel.

http://www.zoopseal.com/zoopseal.asp

Other option is high temp engine paint, anodizing, powder coat, or chrome plating.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Nice job.

One thing though, not trying to be a smartalec but are you using something that can rust? You will never know whats happening in the pipe. As rust forms it will get sucked into your engine. Disaster.

Chrome it?

·
Mighty Flying Family Sedn
Camry
510 Posts
so FREAKIN cool!~

where did you get the mandrel piping?

nice job!~ :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,072 Posts
Take it out again, and paint it, inside and out!

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
wontonjohnny said:
should i paint the inside??? wouldnt the fumes be bad???

its not rusting inside, it only rusting where i grinded it
Fumes would not be bad if its dry. Don't use acrylic or anything that could peel and ruin your day. Epoxy paint maybe?

Chances of you knowing about rust forming inside are slim until something happens. How often do you think you are going to look inside those pipes. Since air is always being drawn in so will moisture. Thats why you don't see bare steel in any fuel or air systems. Aluminium, ABS plastic...someone should make a carbon fiber CAI. Lightwt and doesn't conduct heat so readily.

For your case, I was thinking of something more permanant like chrome or powder coat. If your metal pieces are not too big, you can diy with the oven at home if you powdercoat.

Just be careful of rust forming from behind the airfilter to your engine.

·
Registered
785 Posts
the ONLY real problem you're gonna have with that cold air intake, is the fact is, if it rains, your filter is screwed, if bugs get all over it, the life of the filter goes down the drain. some how make a way to block that junk to get in. i was thinking sorta the same thing. but i dont feel like taking the front bumper off inless i had someone helping me who knew as much if not more than me.

·
Guess whos back
2000 VW golf
675 Posts
^^^Mesh would do the trick:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts