Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I borrowerd a floor jack from a friend the other day to rotate my tires.

so I could put one jack on both sides of the truck.

After looking at the manual it only listed support places as the sides...

I started looking around a bit more and found in the front center of the truck there is a ball shapped part that looks like it would fit in the floor jack saddle perfectly. It did not say anything about it in the manual though...

in any case, I couldn't rotate them as the floor jack only went up 13in and was not high enough to get the tire off the ground.

Is that rounded part in the center front of the truck for a floor jack? will I hurt anything trying it?

One more question, JC whitney has a floor jack for $29.99 with 2 free jack stands.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Jeep-Shop/GP_2020258_N_111+10201+600027425_10101.jcw

(zoom photo to see the floor jack)

Think the jack is OK, or should I buy a name brand jack to be safe?

thanks in advance guys.

·
Taco Lover
2007 Tacoma
54 Posts
+1

I bought a craftsman professional floor jack that came with 2 free jack stands (3 ton if I remember correctly). When I got home I took a longer look at the box and saw it's throw was only 13 inches or something. Then I got under my truck with a tape measure and found the frame was much too high to get the wheels off the ground with that insufficient lift height. Brought it back to sears unopened and exchanged it for a 12 ton bottle jack (less money than the floor jack too).

Take a look at the lift height of any jack you want to buy and also consider if you intend to install a lift on the truck or bigger tires or whatever. I wish I had done my homework before I purchased instead of making two trips to the store...

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can support the truck from the pumpkin on the rear diff or the middle of the axel on the front diff.

You can place jack stands at the points specified in the manual.

You probably want a floor jack that goes to 18"

Alternatively, you can get some block of wood 2X4 and cut them and nail or screw them together to add height. and no do not put the blocks under the floor jack.

·
FREE CITIZEN
Tacoma 06 DC TRD OR
496 Posts
I went to COSTCO and got the Arcan ALJ3T Aluminum 3 TON floor jack (range 3.77"-19.3") for $150.00, it's cheap compared to others and weights only 58#, making it perfect for my personal shop.

I have an old 13" floor jack that I bought long time ago from Western Auto and it served well in my cars, stil works but for my truck it fell short, I researched bigger than !3" and came to the conclusion that the COSTCO Jack was the best deal for the money and weight of the jack.

Also last week I got from SAMs a set of GMC Jack Stands to reinforce my jack stands fleet and guess what, they turned out to be higher than any of my other four, what a pleasant surprise!

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
I jack the front in the center on the support you described. Jack the rear on the rear end pumpkin. No need to do all four corners. I use a 3 ton floor jack, but don't know how far it travels.

A good floor jack and stand combo in addition to an electric impact gun makes life a hell of allot easier.

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input guys, you saved me both time and money :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts