Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Various Toyotas
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing the rear brakes on my 1987 Toyota base pickup. I turned the wheel bearing hub and thought this noise is not normal. It sounds like it's coming from the middle of the axle where you can fill and drain gear oil. I've never checked to see if it's full or not. I don't know if this noise is even normal. Please check out this 18 second video and turn up the volume.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Here is the link to the video:

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,793 Posts
Doing the rear brakes on my 1987 Toyota base pickup. I turned the wheel bearing hub and thought this noise is not normal. It sounds like it's coming from the middle of the axle where you can fill and drain gear oil. I've never checked to see if it's full or not. I don't know if this noise is even normal. Please check out this 18 second video and turn up the volume.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Here is the link to the video: https://youtu.be/plvhP7mbXaY
Video doesn't work for me, anybody else?
Does the sound happen if you rotate the opposite side?

·
Various Toyotas
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses so far.

Video doesn't work for me, anybody else?
I just double-checked and the link works fine. You can try to use this exact title on the YouTube search bar: "1987 Toyota Pickup Rear Axle Noise".

Does the sound happen if you rotate the opposite side?
Yes, both driver and passenger side make the same noise.

Common for them to make that noise if you don't hear anything when you drive then forget about it.
No, never heard anything when driving. If it makes any difference, for quite a while the driver side brake shoes were tight enough against the drum to prevent the hub from being turned by hand. It would turn when driving, of course, and when pushing the truck. I've had bad gas mileage and thought maybe the tight shoe was causing that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts