Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know where i can get the rear drums for a 73 corona(mfr. 4/73, 2 D, hardtop base(not the mark11)). rock auto is NIS, Amazon doesnt carry, went to the centric brake site and emailed them, dynamic friction site cant be searched so will have to call them....thanks

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,266 Posts
Will these work? They seem to think so.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SDSSPEED, i checked ebay eariler but didnt think to cross reference against the Corrolla, ... i'll research these.
on ebay for the corolla it states :
Outside Diameter: 10.73 in(Outside Diameter: 272.6 mm)

for rockauto on the Corona: OD is 230.50mm....... so very close, i'll dig more into this

the partstoyota.... just need 2 drums not the whole rear end (sarcasm). wow! $144 for 1 drum..i'll pass for now on this one

thanks a bunch for the lead

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i believe i may have found something. i pulled the drum on the Corona, it had "max 230.6 mm".and i measured it to be the ID size, this
Beck Arnley 083-0448 Brake Drum on Amazon fits the '73 celica and corolla @ 230.6 mm even though your Ebay link says the corolla max ID is 272.6. the beck arnley website says Max ID is 230mm even though the drum pic has 230.6mm. so i see a confrontation of ID and OD annotations and MM sizes. The amazon pic of the BA shows the total OD @ 11'', my total OD is a hair more than 10 3/4", hopefully the pics are an accurate display as well, the BA pic and my drum do not have cooling fins i noticed some other pics do though. I 'll look a little more but i may just have to take a chance on that BA drum from Amazon

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Alrighty! i received the Beck Arnley 083-0448 '73 Celica brake drums today. Per fitment it says they wont fit my "72 Corona. so now the question for you brake experts is....WILL IT FIT? Heres the specs for the BA and my OEM drums.
A= both are @ 43 mm
B>C= both are @ 65 mm
Both total OD is 272 mm
Both total ID is 230.6 mm
Both Hub (axle) hole ID are @ 60mm

Problem: the BA and OEM *dust shield " area on the drums are of a slightly different design and the BA drum doesn't fully seat against the axle hub. And where the "holding screw" is that holds the drum to the axle is slightly off center.

Cure: remove the OEM dust ring on the backing plate, this ring is 272 mm in OD and approx. 1" thk (OD 11" x ID 9" approx.) and 30mm wide, it seems to be "stamped" onto the backing plate with approx, 7-10 stampings about
2-3 " apart, i would take a flat tip screw driver ,drive it in to break the stamp and remove the dust ring.
Drill out another holding screw hole. the thread for the screw is in the axle hub,not in the drum like the BA is. so i think its safe to drill another hole in the drum.

Basically, it looks like the dust ring on the '72's backing plate was removed in the '73 model year with the drum design being modified to have the dust ring. pics are always worth a thousand words so here you go and let me know what you think. It looks like a safe Mod. to do to me.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.