Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just bought an 89 Camry. Lamp on dash indicates a blown tail/brake light. I've searched this thread and done the following:

Replaced all bulbs sans the running, reverse lights in the trunk lid. Correct bulbs are being used, even in the "third brake light".
Cleaned all contacts.
Inspected harness for wear - none visible. Nothing grounding.
Inspected the yellow box - nothing appeared to be fried.
Replaced the "yellow box" - twice. I now own three of these...
Checked the ground at the auto release trunk switch as I see here that this was the cause of a similar problem for someone else.

Warning light still illuminates when brake pedal is pressed - takes a second or two. Just last night had the "neutral start failure" many here describe as preventing them from starting their car. This "resolved itself" after a couple tries. Wondering if these two issues are related. Could the brake light switch on the column be involved? I plan to clean the neutral start saftey switch this weekend. Curious if I am missing something here... Not good at reading wiring diagrams so suspect there's a connection to something that I am missing. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Gen 2 camry Guru
91 Camry Base
124 Posts
My son just bought an 89 Camry. Lamp on dash indicates a blown tail/brake light. I've searched this thread and done the following:

Replaced all bulbs sans the running, reverse lights in the trunk lid. Correct bulbs are being used, even in the "third brake light".
Cleaned all contacts.
Inspected harness for wear - none visible. Nothing grounding.
Inspected the yellow box - nothing appeared to be fried.
Replaced the "yellow box" - twice. I now own three of these...
Checked the ground at the auto release trunk switch as I see here that this was the cause of a similar problem for someone else.

Warning light still illuminates when brake pedal is pressed - takes a second or two. Just last night had the "neutral start failure" many here describe as preventing them from starting their car. This "resolved itself" after a couple tries. Wondering if these two issues are related. Could the brake light switch on the column be involved? I plan to clean the neutral start saftey switch this weekend. Curious if I am missing something here... Not good at reading wiring diagrams so suspect there's a connection to something that I am missing. Thanks in advance for the help!
Ok just to recap a couple of things, make sure all bulbs are in their sockets proper adn not reversed, hey its easy to do. So if that ll checks out and the blub indicator checks out I think that having three of them and you get teh same result it is time to move forward. Something you might want to consider is the brake light stop switch located at the top of the brake pedal. It could be faulty or just worn out. They do go out on these cars.

Go to www.autozone.com and search for a stoplight switch for your year and model car. They offer two. One for cars with cruse control and ones without cruse control.

I doubt your problem is related to your neutral safety switch. If you need directions to rebuild your NSS let me know I've done mine a few times

·
Registered
620 Posts
I had this problem and for me it was a ground wire in the left brake light assembly; I unsnapped the whole light assembly from inside the trunk and found a screw that held the brake light socket had a bit of corrosion and was a tad loose. Re tightened screw and all is good. Be careful not to over tighten as it will strip the plastic the screw goes into.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I would also check the loom of wires in the trunk by the driver's side trunk hinge. Open up that loom and look for freyed or broken wires. That loom is subjected to a lot of flexing over the years as the trunk is constantly opened and closed. Eventually wires in there break over time. Repair what you find. This is a common problem on all generations of Camrys.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts