Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost positive that's it. I was driving along and it started jerking real bad so I pulled over. Jacked up the rear and the drivers side was real hard to turn. I was only a mile from home so I decided to nurse it home. In 2wd it would just drag that wheel. In 4x4 hi it would jerk and stall. Had to do it in 4lo. Slowly but surely I made it home. The wheel was rolling the whole time.

I don't think it would be the diff; the other side was turning fine and I changed the fluid not long ago, plus how often do diffs blow on these trucks.
There wasn't any brake fluid leaking either.

92 22re BTW. It's a base model, if it was supposed to have abs It quit working long ago because I slid around a bit this past winter.

So I'm thinking, just replace the shoes?

Think I'm in for a bigger treat?

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
The parking brake lever on the backing plate can freeze up and not release the brake. Check it out.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
See post #2

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran out of time; gotta get a coupe hours north to take care of my moms dog cause she's in the hospital. I sprayed some penetrating oil in there while I was attempting to do it myself; helped me get to the shop; didn't lock up on me.
Guy at the shop said He'd never seen such a rusty drum brake system, my e brake will never work again. He asked if it had been used to haul a boat cause of all the rust and thinking maybe it had been submersed in water a lot of its life.
One of the shoes was in two pieces. He was workin on it for 2 hours. Turned the drums, shoes, and hardware was 120. Labor 80. Not bad for not having to swear at it for days; considering I didn't have days.

Thanks anyway

1 - 5 of 5 Posts