Toyota Nation Forum banner

Rear brake rotor question

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Bitter 
#1 ·
2005 FWD, rear disc brakes with inner hub parking brake.

I bought a pair of Centric E-coated rear rotors. The ECoating is essentially a powder coating of the rotor and then they grind it away to leave only the surface that touches the pad become bare metal. It helps keep the rotor from rusting and does look sharp.
The problem is they did not grind the paint away on the inner hub where the parking brake shoes touch. I looked on Amazon and one user had a pair of rotors where one had the paint removed and the other didn't so he removed it. Another user had a pair with both painted and said they did not effect the parking brake at all.

My gut says this surface should be bare metal. I know the brake only pushes against the surface but how can it "bite" into the hub on the paint and also what about 3 years from now if the ecoating starts to flake off?

Trying to do the brakes today but would rather wait and return if the rotors aren't right.

#2 ·
Here is how I would see it. If the parking brake is used only for parking, I'd enjoy the rust free coated surface. On the other hand, if the brake were left on inadvertently, you may end up with a hot, sticky paint mess back there.
i'm in the rust belt and have these rotors on the fronts. Too early to tell if the vents stay rust free for years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.