Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Previous owner never replaced rear brakes or rotors when he sold Highlander to me with 83k.

At 91k, I had mechanic replaced pads and rotors. Mechanic didn’t suggest stock pads, said he had good luck with Brembo pads. So we went with Brembo.

Now only 24k miles later, I need new pads already.

What changed:

1. We went with Brembo pads
2. I moved into a more hilly area (previous owner said he mostly lived in a non hilly area).

Questions: are our 1st Gen Highlanders notorious for eating rear brake pads?

Should I just go stock Toyota pads next if previous owner got up to 83k on them prior to owner transfer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
156 Posts
Rear brakes don't wear down as much since the majority of the weight in stopping is shifted to the front as well as the weight of the engine comes into play.

I'd definitely stick to OEM brake pads as it seems your mechanic prefers a faster return rate for more profit. Also, anything outside of OEM is not to specifications of the vehicle as all of the parts are designed to work together.

This is how aftermarket part companies make their money.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Brembo pads are probably softer and may be higher performance. That is a trade-off for brake pads just like it is for tires. You would need to determine if the material and construction are the same as OEM for mileage comparison.
Did they have any mileage guarantee?
I get about 60k out of my brakes in mostly boulevard stop and go driving.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
985 Posts
Your scenario has a couple of things you didn't mention. When the vehicle was new, not just the pads, but the calipers were also new. Did you renew those?

The calipers especially would be a suspect in rapid wear -- they have to float freely on their slider pins, and their pistons have to be free to retract a tiny amount to remove pad-to-rotor pressure when you let up on the brakes. Mechanics often just grease up the pins without worrying about any corrosion on them, and simply push the piston back in, rather than check the boot carefully for cracks and the piston & caliper metal beneath the boot for corrosion.

CR points out another possible reason, softer, more grippy pads that wear faster.

There's a third possible reason: counterfeit Brembo pads, see https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/brembo-fights-against-fake-products.

·
Registered
319 Posts
actually, on my highlander the rears wear a bit faster, I think it's due to their smaller size compared to the fronts and possibly the way the braking force is biased. I also get about 60k miles out of a set of wagner ceramics with decent quality rotors. I always clean everthing and grease the pins with synthetic brake grease. My father always has the same experience with new cars, the original brakes and tires always seem to last quite a bit longer than the aftermarket replacements.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone - great advice!

1. We did not replace the rear calipers. Just the pads and rotors at 91k.

2. We are going back to stock pads by Toyota. I’m hoping this will do it .

3. I’m still wondering if it’s the hills in this new neighborhood we moved into. There is a steep hill to get us out of the neighborhood, about 2 blocks long, that I wonder is putting strain on pads.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
156 Posts
Hi everyone - great advice!

1. We did not replace the rear calipers. Just the pads and rotors at 91k.

2. We are going back to stock pads by Toyota. I’m hoping this will do it .

3. I’m still wondering if it’s the hills in this new neighborhood we moved into. There is a steep hill to get us out of the neighborhood, about 2 blocks long, that I wonder is putting strain on pads.

For #3 just use engine braking to reduce pad wear going down hill

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I’m at the mechanics right now. It was the calipers, they were stuck or moved with difficulty. Replacing both rear calipers now.

·
イリジウム
11,779 Posts
If he used petroleum based grease on the caliper pubs that will do it too by sweeping the rubber and causing the pins to seize.

JIS K2228 approved grease like CRC Silaramic is the way.

So, I’m at the mechanics right now. It was the calipers, they were stuck or moved with difficulty. Replacing both rear calipers now.

·
Registered
2003 Highlander
535 Posts
2003 V6 AWD 342k miles original owner.
Rudy: my experience with HL brakes:
-Yes the rear brakes are under designed. They wear at or faster than the fronts.
-I have found Akebono Pro Act Ultra Premium pads to be best. They are said to be the OE supplier for Toyota and this Highlander.
-Rotor brand is not as critical. I buy whatever seems to be the best value on line.
-Rear and front to a lesser degree need service annually here in the salt-rust belt to keep slider pins from getting stuck. I just did mine a week ago, I'm getting pretty good at it. Use premium quality silicone grease only.
-I have replaced all four calipers over the years. They are all now NAPA Auto Premium calipers. I've had good luck with the NAPA.
Best regards and good luck to you,
Haha....

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just replaced a napa caliper on the front of my hl that was just about a year old and leaking. They wouldn't honor the warranty because I didn't have the receipt, they wouldn't even look it up in their system. Plus they are only a 1 year warranty anyway. Therefore, I now have an advance auto part caliper, even if it goes bad quickly they typically are good about replacing bad parts and calipers are easy to change.

·
Registered
2003 Highlander
535 Posts
+1 on what Mgeorge says about NAPA Auto. There are some Dick's at those stores for sure. I like AutoZone better. I don't go to NAPA anymore unless I have to. Haya....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts