Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there

I've got a 1990 celica GT with rear drum brakes. My question is, can I replace them with discs and calipers from a 1992 Camry LE (5SFE) ? Will these fit without modifications ?

Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
it's a possibility but why? oh why?? are you gonna start racing your car?? or are you producing massive amounts of hp and go really fast, and then have to stop really fast??

otherwise this is a waste of money. Rear discs in general are a waste of money. Drums last forever with very little problems. They are easy maitenence. Changing to discs...unless you actually have use for them (ie. racing or high - over 400 hp)...is wasting your money and going to cause more headaches then it's worth. For one thing rear discs don't last as long as drums. Also most of your stopping power comes from the front wheels. Discs are more costly to fix. All in all, rear drums are better for a daily driver.

don't mean to offend...just offering an opinion. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey, but discs do look stunning with rims. Sets your car apart from others.

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
Sets it apart from the other 5 bajillion cars that have rear disc?

JRB said:
otherwise this is a waste of money. Rear discs in general are a waste of money. Drums last forever with very little problems. They are easy maitenence. Changing to discs...unless you actually have use for them (ie. racing or high - over 400 hp)...is wasting your money and going to cause more headaches then it's worth. For one thing rear discs don't last as long as drums. Also most of your stopping power comes from the front wheels. Discs are more costly to fix. All in all, rear drums are better for a daily driver.
You don't need a racecar or 400hp beast to benifit from rear disc. They are there for a reason. To help you stop faster. Yes they are more expensive, and wear out faster, and dont' do as much work as the fronts.
But, it is better to have more stopping power. Even in a stock Geo Metro. Doesn't even matter how fast you drive. What if someone pulls out in front of you?
And if you go up from there [in my case, daily driver, just under 300hp, drive kinda fast, I am REALLY thankful my car came with rear disc. If not, I would swap], you can use/need them more and more.

A car is supposed to be able to stop I believe 2.5 X faster than it can accelerate.

And don't worry, I wasnt' offended. :)
Just wanted to share my POV on that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thousand_five said:
Hey, but discs do look stunning with rims. Sets your car apart from others.
Yeah it's the reason why a I want to put discs. I've got 17 rims and it doesn't look really good with drums.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Drum breaks with alloy wheels...no, they don't look good at all. before just putting disks instead of drums do some research as the rest of the system is configured for drums and you may upset the balance making it worse than before. the problem with drum breaks are that in an emergency they may lock and you have a badly oversteering car which is difficult to control. most cars these days come with ABS so having drums in the back is a bit of a dinosaur. disk breaks stop better, there is no arguments about that, safety first then looks or money. I am slightly technically challenged when it comes to celica but could you take the whole breaking system from a later model? ABS may be too laborous to install but just a normal disk system. it is true that in normal driving you do not need large disks, in contrast look at german cars, BMW, Audi etc, they all come with huge disks as they are designed to stop effectively from 250km/h coming down the Alps. many aftermarket disks come with cooling holes and grooves. they look really good through alloy wheels. if you are into making handbreak turns drums are better because they lock easily (as i mentioned before).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts