Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92 toyota pickup 22re 4x4

i have a gravel driveway that goes downhill, my rear tires, or tire, are locking up as i go down while applying the brakes. i replaced the front pads, but am not sure why the rears would skid. is it time for new rear brakes??? this problem does not happen on the paved road, ... yet....

·
Registered
185 Posts
just a guess.....it might have to do with your lspv not adjusted right....or if its steep enough, that just plain old happens if your going just the slightest bit over the speed limit of a graded gravel driveway and hit the brakes

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
A leaking wheel cylinder can let just enough brake fluid get on the shoes or inside the drum and can cause it to grab. You need to pull the drums and have a look. Only way to really tell what's going on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BENSYOTA - lspv??? what is that? and no the hill isnt too steep, and it never did it before a few weeks ago.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
+1 zembones. especially if it started suddenly. either a wheel cylinder popped or the axle seal popped. either way you've got fluids getting on the shoes causing them to grab. take the drum off and see what died. you will need whatever's leaking, new shoes, drums (or to get them turned), and hardware kit (cheap and half the time you need it anyway)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
lspv = load sensing proportioning valve, and it is the most likely culprit here. It's a valve with a rod attached to the rear axle that causes more braking power to be directed to the rear axle when the springs are compressed by a large (heavy) load.

Unfortunately the springs in our trucks tend to sag badly, even without a load, which can cause the lspv to direct too much braking power to the rear brakes. If your rear springs are sagging, that may be the problem.

For solutions, I would try searching for lspv in this forum and over on yotatech and pirate4x4.

EDIT: Here's one, there are many others: http://www.yotatech.com/f116/lspv-adjustment-questions-146099/

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
lspv = load sensing proportioning valve, and it is the most likely culprit here. It's a valve with a rod attached to the rear axle that causes more braking power to be directed to the rear axle when the springs are compressed by a large (heavy) load.

Unfortunately the springs in our trucks tend to sag badly, even without a load, which can cause the lspv to direct too much braking power to the rear brakes. If your rear springs are sagging, that may be the problem.
I would agree except he said it didn't happen until recently. something like the springs sagging is going to be a very slow process, not a "hey, it didn't do that last week" kind of thing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts