Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
apparently, my passenger rear brake isnt working. i took it off tonight to inspect it, and it looked nothing like it should. it was covered with dust, and it was very slightly rusty. The brake on the driver side (rear), i didnt take it off because i didnt have any time, but it has been grinding for about two weeks now, i was wondering...could the brakes on the right be out of adjustment? or does it sound like something's broken?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey,

My "guess" would be that it is out of adjustment, and probably has been for some time. Although without seeing it I have no way to tell. Your best bet would be to compare it too a pic in a Haynes manual (well worth 15 dollars if you dont have one). Its also very easy to adjust the brake drum. Reassemble the brake drum then put a screwdriver in one of the small slots in the backing plate of the brakes. There should be a small lever and just keep racheting it up while turning the tire, until you can feel the brake drag, then your done.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i went out and went to take the drum off last night, and it wouldnt come off. there was a picture of where i should insert two screwdrivers and pry the brakes back, but i couldnt get it to save myself. i know the shoes are tight to the drum, because there's grinding when i hit the brakes. how do i get the drum off without breaking things?

oh and one more thing, i'm looking for a....upper spring seat? i think it's called that. it's the piece that holds the spring back, and holds the whole spring/shock setup to the car. it's the upper mount that bolts into the rear wheel well...anyways...where would my best choice be to get them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
drehtwnftbl said:
so i went out and went to take the drum off last night, and it wouldnt come off. there was a picture of where i should insert two screwdrivers and pry the brakes back, but i couldnt get it to save myself. i know the shoes are tight to the drum, because there's grinding when i hit the brakes. how do i get the drum off without breaking things?
I havn't did this in a while, but as I recall these are all the steps I did when I was in that situation. First take the tire off, then take off the axle nut cap, and then the axle nut itself. Now pop out that little black plastic center cap of your rim. Now put your rim back on and tighten the lugs. Now its time to break out your handy two jaw puller. If you dont have one you should get one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMPR...56157QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting

Then get a large socket that will sit flush with the axle but is smaller in diameter than the brake drum. Use that socket so the two jaw puller has something to set the center on. Then just stick the arms in different holes of the rim and start tightening puller, and voila its off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts