Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the rear climate button do? I have XLE with 8" screen. There is a power button that seems to turn the entire rear system on or off. Then there is a button below that called rear climate. I dont understand the description in the manual.

Does it shift ability to control from rear panel to front?

Also, I've seen complaints about wireless charger. My Samsung Galaxy s9 with a case seems to charge just fine in the tray. So does my sons IPhone 12 mini. I agree the position of the tray isn't great but are people actually saying their phones don't charge at all?
Book Font Publication Material property Writing

·
Registered
131 Posts
Rear climate button will power the rear on and off independently. The regular power button will turn on the front but will only turn on the rear if it was on the last time you used climate control. Try this to see what I mean...

HIt power button to turn it all on, then hit rear climate and that should turn the rear off. Then hit power again to turn the front off. Now when you hit power, only the front will turn back on because the rear was set to off the last time the climate control was used.

Idk about you but I only use the rear control if someone's in the backseat, otherwise why put extra stress on the system.

Don't know anything about any charging issues, it's not in our 2018.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
As for the charging, it's not a very strong charger. If you have a case on your phone that's more than a couple of millimeters thick, it doesn't work. And if your phone is too big for whatever reason to lie flat in the opening and make full contact, then it doesn't work.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I still don't understand. In the manual above, button labeled A turns the rear climate off and on. Button labeled B does something else....which doesn't really seem to change anything.

As for the charging, it's not a very strong charger. If you have a case on your phone that's more than a couple of millimeters thick, it doesn't work. And if your phone is too big for whatever reason to lie flat in the opening and make full contact, then it doesn't work.
Are all the Toyota QI chargers like this?

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
According to that manual page, button B toggles the front controls (C, D, E) between the front settings and the rear settings.

Are all the Toyota QI chargers like this?
My Tacoma's charger is just as weak but much bigger and in a more intelligent location behind the gear shifter. So it solves the size problem, but it still doesn't help me because I have an Otterbox Defender case that's about 4mm thick.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Tacoma's charger is just as weak but much bigger and in a more intelligent location behind the gear shifter. So it solves the size problem, but it still doesn't help me because I have an Otterbox Defender case that's about 4mm thick.
I'm assuming they use the same charger across the lineup, including Lexus

According to that manual page, button B toggles the front controls (C, D, E) between the front settings and the rear settings.
There is also a sync button....to make it more confusing.

I guess I'll have to play around with it.

Would that mean the rear passenger can control the front?

Or that button prevents the rear passenger from changing it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I misread your buttons, it looks like rear climate button (B) is how to switch what the "mode" button does. Meaning when rear climate is illuminated and you press the mode button, it switches airflow between upper and lower vent in the rear only. Unselect rear climate and that same mode button will switch air flow modes in the front vents only.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I misread your buttons, it looks like rear climate button (B) is how to switch what the "mode" button does. Meaning when rear climate is illuminated and you press the mode button, it switches airflow between upper and lower vent in the rear only. Unselect rear climate and that same mode button will switch air flow modes in the front vents only.
Thank you good sir, I owe you a cold beer 🍺

·
Registered
2021 Highlander platinum
45 Posts
What does the rear climate button do? I have XLE with 8" screen. There is a power button that seems to turn the entire rear system on or off. Then there is a button below that called rear climate. I dont understand the description in the manual.

Does it shift ability to control from rear panel to front?

Also, I've seen complaints about wireless charger. My Samsung Galaxy s9 with a case seems to charge just fine in the tray. So does my sons IPhone 12 mini. I agree the position of the tray isn't great but are people actually saying their phones don't charge at all? View attachment 392198
I have an iphone 13 mini with the apple magsafe case and charging it on the wireless tray is definitely finicky. Sometimes it charges, sometimes it doesn’t and when I move the phone a bit on the tray it might charge again but it will stop charging if you look at it wrong. That being said, I just installed a magsafe wireless charger & phone mount on the dash and that setup is more steady.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an iphone 13 mini with the apple magsafe case and charging it on the wireless tray is definitely finicky. Sometimes it charges, sometimes it doesn’t and when I move the phone a bit on the tray it might charge again but it will stop charging if you look at it wrong. That being said, I just installed a magsafe wireless charger & phone mount on the dash and that setup is more steady.
Should somebody sue toyota for releasing a piece of shit feature?

Qi wireless isn't new....are all the Lexus people complaining as well?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sure they have some fine print somewhere stating that phone accessories (cases) may affect proformance. Definitely not an excuse given $20 wireless chargers found on Amazon are better in my opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Since I use Carplay all the time for navigation and music, I never use the wireless charger. I guess its nice to have, and the wireless dongles you can buy dont seem to have great ratings from what I have seen, so I just stick to my wire and go.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Should somebody sue toyota for releasing a piece of shit feature?
Nope. I don't understand why people have such a strong urge to sue car manufacturers over the dumbest little things. That's why the car is loaded with things that most people find annoying as can be - because the carmakers have to protect themselves from frivolous legal action.

Besides, you said yours is working fine. So you haven't incurred any damages at all.

And when something does achieve class action status, the lawyers manage to get the vast majority of the settlement, leaving the car owners with a coupon for a free donut while waiting for their next service.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Unlike the wireless charger on your desk or nightstand the one in the car is moving. Bumps and turns can slightly shift the phone around on the wireless charger which can cause it to lose alignment. They (meaning all the ones in cars not just Toyota) work well enough for what it is.

Also, the rear climate button allows you to toggle the controls between front and rear. Meaning when you press it you can then adjust the rear climate settings just like you can the front. Personally I liked it better when there were separate controls for the rear climate functions rather than toggling between settings on a screen. One thing I like about my experience with Ford vehicles is they have a rear climate control lockout switch so only the driver can adjust the settings. Very handy when you have small children or fighting teenagers in the back.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unlike the wireless charger on your desk or nightstand the one in the car is moving. Bumps and turns can slightly shift the phone around on the wireless charger which can cause it to lose alignment. They (meaning all the ones in cars not just Toyota) work well enough for what it is.

Also, the rear climate button allows you to toggle the controls between front and rear. Meaning when you press it you can then adjust the rear climate settings just like you can the front. Personally I liked it better when there were separate controls for the rear climate functions rather than toggling between settings on a screen. One thing I like about my experience with Ford vehicles is they have a rear climate control lockout switch so only the driver can adjust the settings. Very handy when you have small children or fighting teenagers in the back.
Interesting, I'll have to give it a try.

It seems a bit redundant since you can control everything by sync ...

Thanks for explaining

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Ok I finally figured out what the rear climate button does. If I press it, while the line is lit on the display, it allows the front occupants to temporarily control the fan speed and the type of airflow (feet, upper body etc) for the rear.

The line automatically turns off after a few seconds.

You don't need to press Rear Climate to manually adjust the rear temp, you can always do that with the separate button assuming the rear climate system is on.

So, to recap, if you press Rear Climate, it temporarily allows you to adjust rear fan speed and airflow direction.

It is personally useless to me but I'm OCD and didn't know what the feature was for

·
Registered
2022 Camry XLE Hybrid
19 Posts
In my Camry Hybrid, the a/c automatically powers rear seats on and off, depending if the rear doors have been opened just prior to starting the car. Rear doors opened, a/c vents to rear opened. Rear doors not opened, vents closed. At least I assume it's the door. Same as notification to check rear seats upon engine shutoff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts