Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicle is 180k Kms now and the struts need to be replaced. Since I am replacing the struts, I thought it would be a good idea to replace the stabilizer links, bushes, control arms, ball joints and outer tie rods to bring back the brand new ride quality. But how about the real control arms? would they need to be replaced as well? if so, what are the associated components?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would recommend staying away from cheap aftermarket parts and stick with quality factory or OEM suppliers. For example, KYB or Tokico for the struts. For the rear suspension, other than the strut, the rest are control arms. Best choice would be to replace them with Toyota parts. The only part that wears out is the rubber bushing. If you can find quality replacement rubber bushings and are comfortable in swapping them out, that can be a good cost effective way to restore the ride in the back. Polyurethane bushings are great for racer type cars. While it may dramatically improve the control, the increase in harshness and vibration is not worth it for a Highlander, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would check them for play first. My Echo is on the originals and I have spares for when they are worn out but I think you have more miles in what you have, unless you drive poor roads or live above the rust belt.

·
Resident Nutcase
'08 Highlander Limtd
12,155 Posts
I will say at just shy of 200K miles now, the rear control arm bushings on mine show minimal to no wear. I definitely wouldn't touch them unless they have failed. The only bushing showing signs of going soon in the suspension are the front lower A-arms, they are definitely worn. Though at ~110k miles (180k km), they weren't anywhere near needing replacement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the inputs. My primary thought of replacing all the bushings is to bring back the original brand new ride quality as rubber hardens with age. And with these kind of work, labor is generally expensive compared to parts, so I thought it would work out cheaper to replace them all at once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts