Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 DC 4x4 TRD. I know it has the rear diff-lock button, but when I don't have the rear diff locked, is it an open differential or is it limited-slip? I would assume an open diff, but I would like to know for sure. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you have an off-road I'm pretty sure it's open, but the Sport has limited slip. By the way..what color is your truck?

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
92and06 got it right. Its most likely an open diff.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
off road = open when not locked. sport = lsd.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
no..totally different size rear ends.
The LSD is in the 8.4" diff the locker is in the 8" diff
you cant have both of those in one unit anyway..one or the other

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
checkster said:
I thought the OR had a limited slip pus a locker for low range?
nope. totally open when it's not locked. this is why for most people, the LSD is better. the locker isn't really for slippery road conditions, the LSD will help a lot with them.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
there is no such thing as having both units in one diff. the only way is having that simulated LSD where the brakes are applied to the rear wheels to simulate a LSD..you can not have a mechanical LSD in the diff with a LOCKER

·
Speed Junkie
139 Posts
05XRunner said:
there is no such thing as having both units in one diff. the only way is having that simulated LSD where the brakes are applied to the rear wheels to simulate a LSD..you can not have a mechanical LSD in the diff with a LOCKER
Exactly. The Frontier simulates LSD by applying brakes to the slipping wheel.

Edit: From the Nissan site:

4-Wheel Limited Slip (ABLS)
Active Limited Slip senses a wheelspin of a drive wheel and automatically applies brakes to the slipping wheel(s), redirecting power to the wheel(s) with the best traction.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma 4X4
13 Posts
It would be nice to be able to lock the rear differential when in 2WD. I know that their are several write-ups on this modification for earlier model Tacomas. Has anyone seen this write-up for the 05-06 Tacomas yet? If so, please point me in the right direction. It would be much appreciated.

By the way, I just wanted to introduce myself and my truck. Its a 2005 4X4 Tacoma Access cab with the TRD off-road package. I'm sure I'll be on this forum often, sharing and getting mod ideas.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
05TacoTRD said:
It would be nice to be able to lock the rear differential when in 2WD. I know that their are several write-ups on this modification for earlier model Tacomas. Has anyone seen this write-up for the 05-06 Tacomas yet? If so, please point me in the right direction. It would be much appreciated.

By the way, I just wanted to introduce myself and my truck. Its a 2005 4X4 Tacoma Access cab with the TRD off-road package. I'm sure I'll be on this forum often, sharing and getting mod ideas.
You mean like the grey wire mod?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
mikeg281 said:
sure you can, just not in this particular unit

Mike
Show me..Unless you got some HUGE diff thats a from like a duece n half.
Or somekinda unit that is custom built somehow...I wanna see one that has both a Mechanical LSD and a Locker in the Diff

·
Registered
343 Posts
05XRunner said:
Show me..Unless you got some HUGE diff thats a from like a duece n half.
Or somekinda unit that is custom built somehow...I wanna see one that has both a Mechanical LSD and a Locker in the Diff
Never said one existed I just said it is possible. And size is not the issue it's practicality

The numerical size of the differential has nothing to do with what is stuffed inside. The size refers to the size of the ring gear. Differentials of the same size are available with or without limited slip.

Clutch type limited slip is contained in the carrier portion of the differential. Now before you tell me to try and "add" limited slip to my truck (which I was challenged to do when I brough this up before)...The carrier needs to be designed to accomidate the clutch packs. Example the Ford 8.8 is available with or without limited slip. It is possible to convert a non LS diff to a LSD by changing the carrier. LS or non LS the case is the same size.

Although not a true locker the Power Trax no slip can be installed in trucks/cars with a LSD.

I am unaware that a true locking differential with limited slip exists and I'm not debating whether one does or does not. I am saying that in the particular case of Toyota it is not because of the diff size. If anything, getting back to what I said originaly, it's more an issue of not being practical.

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
well that sucks........what good os the off road model then unless you drive around in 4LO all the time. wish toyota was like the doemestic truck sometimes and i could order it exactly the way i wanted.

Off road, with LSD and a hood scoop or
Sport with 16" wheels and chrome bumpers

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wish we could pick and choose options, too. I'd have my TRD Off-Road with the Sport's 17" wheels. I'd also have the LSD instead of the locker, since I probably won't use it much. Although, you never know. When you get out in the backcountry, where you're a dozen miles or more from the nearest paved road, that locker could come in handy. :)

Still, it would be nice if we could buy a truck with specific option choices, instead of having to choose option packages.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts