Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Dude, you have style... :D

I'd say the front bearing is shot, and the seal is blown. Most likely the seal went first and leaked out most of the oil which blew the bearing. At this point you're looking at a total rebuild.

Your best bet is to look for a complete used 3rd member with the stock gears in it. I've seen them for as little as $100 in the classified ads around yotatech and pirate4x4.

Shipping is gonna kill you to oahu though...

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
You killed it

Clearly the pinion bearing is shot, But the noise (sound quality could be better) sounds like there is a problem with the gear , so anyhow you are looking at a complete overhaul or replacement of the third member. The replacement is not that difficult, but the overhaul should be left to someone who knows what they are doing.

I don't know what you use your truck for but this could be the time to upgrade to a limited slip differential or locker.

I'm sure some of the 4 wheeler types could fill you in on the options in this department.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
LEGENDS!!!!
you guys are da bombs.. i knew someone could help me out.
so you think i should just get someone else to do it"?
i'd like to try take it apart myself and see if it's just a simple bearing or seal.. i see there's a bunch of bolts.. i mean like 100 thousand of them ..
if i undo them will shit just spring out at me ?
i know there's no fluid in there..but like.. what am i suppose to be looking at.. ?
if i solve this problem.. then i will video it and hopfully this will help other users as well..

Edit: i know i have to Jack the whole rear end up incase anyone was wondering.

·
Banned
747 Posts
When the pinion bearing gets really sloppy the pinion bearing starts climbing up the ring gear under load.
It will usually grind into the differential first....that means the ring and pinion aree shot, as is the case.
The housing MUST be flushed out as tiny chips of metal are all thru it.

Now's a good time for the posi upgrade if you were thinking of going that route.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i Cant Get my FFFFF*CKen filler plug off to refill my diff... anyone Have the same problem?
i soaked it in WD.. then i tried large socket.. then wrench.. the Multigrips... then alot of swearing..and now i'm here.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
I had that problem with my front filler bolt, after the swap over. I just ground the head off, removed the inner "thread" that was left, and installed a replacement. You just have to be real careful.

Others have tack a socket extension (certain nissan owners have done this) and were able to breaker bar it out, but it still needs a new uit after rmeoval.

g'luck

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
attention: LUNKHEADS!!

The plug on the diff can be difficult because for some reason some lunkheads feel that they must torque them to the moon.

The best tool combination to use is a 1/2" drive 12 point socket on a 18" or longer breaker bar. The breaker bar allows you to angle the handle so that the torque is aligned with the plug so half of your energy is not being deflected to the side. Be careful not to round off the plug.

If Any lunkheads are reading this, (and you know just who you are) you best not let me find out that you are overtightening filler and drain plugs on the vehicles you are working on.

Man! some people!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts