Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caliper is in great shape, no rust. got the cube tool and turned and turned the piston and would not go down. Thought maybe left hand thread, so went counterclockwise, not completely out. Will not turn down. Pulled hand brake to catch the threads and tried turning down, will not go down. Do I need a tool to apply pressure while turning down? What the heck is preventing the piston to turn down? Thx.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did mine a few years ago, and I ran into the same problem. There is probably a tool, but I managed to get the piston in by just pushing really hard as I turned it. It was a real bugger, but it did go in. I figured the next time I would remount the caliper without the pads so at least I didn't have to manually stabilize the caliper as I did it. Maybe that will work for you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did mine a few years ago, and I ran into the same problem. There is probably a tool, but I managed to get the piston in by just pushing really hard as I turned it. It was a real bugger, but it did go in. I figured the next time I would remount the caliper without the pads so at least I didn't have to manually stabilize the caliper as I did it. Maybe that will work for you?
Thanks! Ugh. Problem solved. Took 2 days to figure out.
1. Tool to fit onto piston and turn clockwise to retract it
2. MUST apply pressure while doing it
With the caliper off, it is very difficult to apply any pressure and you have zero leverage. Firstly, do not buy the "cube" tool for a toyota. I used the cube tool and happened to have a large C clamp. Clamp tool onto cylinder (needed 4 hands), apply pressure an give it a 1/4 turn, then repeat. Clamp and tool will constantly fall off. 2 hrs later and bloody hands, job done. I would lube down the boot, I was unable to spin the piston without also spinning and twisting the boot, which tore.

So, in conclusion, do not buy the cube tool. Get a tool that will spin the cylinder AND apply pressure. The kits are not that much, under 20 bucks. Or borrow from local auto parts store.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,421 Posts
Caliper is in great shape, no rust. got the cube tool and turned and turned the piston and would not go down. Thought maybe left hand thread, so went counterclockwise, not completely out. Will not turn down. Pulled hand brake to catch the threads and tried turning down, will not go down. Do I need a tool to apply pressure while turning down? What the heck is preventing the piston to turn down? Thx.
Get a disc brake kit on Amazon that has all the parts you need for disc brakes. They are only about $20 and worth every penny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts