Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with their rear door speakers. The tweeters on the upper part of the doors work but the lower 6 1/2’s on both doors don’t work. I’ve read that people in the Camry forums with the JBL system have had problems with the rear speakers. I do have the JBL system and noticed it seemed quieter then normal. Low and behold the door speakers had no sound coming out of them. I will make an appointment and see if they can figure it out. Arrgh!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just checked mine and it's the same story. Rear door tweeters work but nothing coming out of lower speakers.

I adjusted the fader to be full aft but still nothing out of the door speakers. Let us know what the dealer says.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Yeh I checked my 2019 touring and found the same problem.. No sound from rear door speakers... Let us know the seloution guys please

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back from the dealership and after a struggle to get them to listen after they said everything was working properly they confirmed the lower rear door speakers had zero sound. They took my car back again and hooked up a new speaker and got the same results, no sound. They’ve ordered a new amp. The tech did mention they are having problems with a lot of the JBL systems across all models. Make sure when you take your cars in you cover the rear tweeter and then listen because it can indeed trick the ear a tad.

·
Registered
140 Posts
D
Back from the dealership and after a struggle to get them to listen after they said everything was working properly they confirmed the lower rear door speakers had zero sound. They took my car back again and hooked up a new speaker and got the same results, no sound. They’ve ordered a new amp. The tech did mention they are having problems with a lot of the JBL systems across all models. Make sure when you take your cars in you cover the rear tweeter and then listen because it can indeed trick the ear a tad.
Thanks for the report. I'll make an appt with the dealer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Frustrating! I took it in this afternoon, mentioning the problems I've read about with the amp. Service Advisor ignored me. They kept it for an hour and gave it back to me after they tried resetting the head unit. I have to take it back and leave it so they can pull the head unit out and check all the wiring. I'm betting after all that they'll find a bad amp and I'll have to take it back a third time. Of course, they don't have loaner vehicles either.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Hybrid
172 Posts
I tried mine, and the lower rear door speakers work... so it is not all vehicles.
Mine is a 2019 Anslon Hybrid Limited w/ advanced safety package

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well, this is turning into a nightmare. I've had the car in the shop twice now and they can't figure it out. The car is still there and they want to keep it until Monday. Supposedly, they had Toytota corp log in via computer to my car and they pulled a couple of codes that have them scratching their heads. They said my local dealer and Toyota HQs were both examining things real time via computer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, this is turning into a nightmare. I've had the car in the shop twice now and they can't figure it out. The car is still there and they want to keep it until Monday. Supposedly, they had Toytota corp log in via computer to my car and they pulled a couple of codes that have them scratching their heads. They said my local dealer and Toyota HQs were both examining things real time via computer.
Did they replace anything yet?
Mine goes back in this morning for the amp to be replaced, fingers crossed.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,392 Posts
Just like in the camry forums, it was either the amp that needed replacement, the speakers, or both. It's not that hard to play the process of elimination game, especially for a dealer. If you can, go to another dealer if the current dealer doesn't know how to fix it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Did they replace anything yet?
Mine goes back in this morning for the amp to be replaced, fingers crossed.
No, nothing yet. They haven't determined what's wrong. They kept the car until Monday because they have the dash all taken apart and didn't want to have to reassemble and do it again next week. So, they put me in a loaner.

I mentioned the amp the first time I brought it in but they don't think that's it. Like I said, the big boys from Toyota remoted in somehow and were working in real-time with my dealership. I'm sure that if the amp was a know smoking gun, they would have zeroed in on that first. My service manager said that because this is a new model that everyone's learning as they go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got my car back from from the dealership and had a strange feeling like always that it wouldn’t be fixed. Lady at the desk said I had no paperwork which I thought was odd and said I’m good to go. Went out to get my car and my service advisor said everything was good to go and it sounds really good. Still didn’t get any paperwork. Got in to drive home, turned the radio on and could already tell the stereo sounded the same. Readjusted all the setting back to my liking after I got into the garage and low and behold both rear lower speakers are the same. No sound at all! I called my service advisor to have him give me a call and discuss the work that was done along with providing a copy of the work order. No return call. I will wait until Monday to call again. Funny thing though is I pulled my dash cam footage and listened and watched the tech. He did say it’s weird it’s not working and doesn’t want to even tackle replacing the head unit. All the footage I have showed them listening and discussing what could be wrong. Can’t see if they did indeed try and replace the amp, but my car was pulled outside and left in the parking lot for almost three hours. I called them after 5 hours and they said it’s ready.
Frustrated as usual my next step is to get a copy of the work order and have them look at it again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don’t know if it’s related but I’ve also experienced the head unit rebooting. I’m hoping that when they get to the root cause of the speaker problem it will also fix that.

I’m starting to worry that there’s a serious problem with these electronics that they may not have a fix for.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will wait to see what they say Monday since they didn’t get back to me. Lemon law comes into effect after the third try with no resolution. I don’t want it to come to any big legal issue, I just want my speakers to work. This is so ridiculous.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally car my car back from the dealer again and the speakers are working. They replaced the two rear lower door speakers via the Toyota rep which did fix to problem, BUT by the time I got home and got out to listen to each side the passenger speaker was making a cracking sound like it’s on its way out again. I didn’t have the bass set past the center setting and the volume wasn’t set up too high. I’m done with these cheap speakers they put in that can’t handle the power the JBL amp puts out. Going to replace with something much better and will let you know what happens.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts