Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 4x4 dbl. cab
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one can let me know how to remove the rear door window switch cover?
I tried prying gently, prying more forcefully and it doesn't seem to want to come off with the force normally used for prying of interior plastic, like the front window switch cover.
Thanks

·
Registered
05 Tacoma 4X4
122 Posts
I'm almost 100% sure u have to take the door panel off (i'm assuming you know how, but i can explain that if u need me to) and when u have it off there is one of those pressure clips like on the front switches only it looks a little different, but works about the same way.....but like 5x bigger and made out of metal. so un-plug the window switch when u have the door panel off and then it should be a piece of cake from there to just push/squeeze it out from the back side of the door panel.

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
Per my note and Griffin's below, this doesn't work on an 06

05 Factory manual shows removing the switch before pulling the door panel.

Two claws, front and rear of switch. They show the tape covered screwdriver prying it out. Claws look relatively tiny in the book

REMOVE REAR POWER WINDOW REGULATOR SWITCH ASSEMBLY
(a) Using a screwdriver with its tip wrapped in protective tape, disengage the 2 claws, then pull out
the rear power window regulator switch assembly by pulling it toward the front of the vehicle.
(b) Disconnect the connector, then remove the rear power window regulator switch assembly.

Per my note and Griffin's, this doesn't work on an 06

·
Taco Salad!!
2007 Tacoma DC LB
552 Posts
It DEFINITELY comes off without taking the door panel off. I have had them off numerous times without having to take the door panel off.

You need to take a screwdriver, and push in from the front. There is a curved metal clip in the front of the window switch that holds it in. You need to pry up on the switch and push on this clip at which point the window switch will disengage from the door panel, and voila, pull up and unplug to remove. It is easy once you do it the first time, but you CAN do it without taking the door panel off.

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
^ no no no. i tried that. doesn't work. i had to take the entire door panel off. there is a screw and a bracket that holds it in place.
It DEFINITELY comes off without taking the door panel off. I have had them off numerous times without having to take the door panel off.
based on the above two responses, let me clarify that I'm referring to the 05 manual. I'll check mine (06) as soon as its daylight.

Ok, I'm going to side with Grif here. I tried to take mine off, started at rear, and pressed forward a distance that I could see the opening beneath, and the switch would not pop up. I couldn't make it move from the front

I'll change the note above to clarify as well

·
Griff
914 Posts

You need to take a screwdriver, and push in from the front. There is a curved metal clip in the front of the window switch that holds it in. You need to pry up on the switch and push on this clip at which point the window switch will disengage from the door panel, and voila, pull up and unplug to remove. It is easy once you do it the first time, but you CAN do it without taking the door panel off.
ya, i tried that and it didn't work for me. you just had more luck than i did. no big deal though. i had to take the door panel off anyways to do the arm rest mod.

·
Taco Salad!!
2007 Tacoma DC LB
552 Posts
If I can ill take a small video and post it on photobucket so you can see how to do it. Not trying to show anybody up, just want to show that it can easily be done :).

·
Registered
2008 4x4 dbl. cab
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.
I did remove the door panel and then reach in to push back the retainer.
It is different from the front. It could be removed with a screwdriver from the outside. I am applying Second Skin right now and
getting ready to install some new speakers. I found it much easier to just reach in and not risk marring the plastic to pry it off from the outside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts