Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of installing air bags on the rear suspension to hopefully help increase load carrying capacity. Just out of curiosity, I broke out the tape measure to see how much travel this thing had before the bump stops. This is sad...

edit: Has anyone cut their bump stops down? If so, how much did you cut off and how has it worked for you... any problems?

·
Registered
348 Posts
3" is some sorry ass suspension travel. I thought about cutting down my bump stops, but still have not gotten down to it. I just might do it tomorrow so I quit bottoming out over some silly little dips by my house.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I cut the top 1.5 inches off my bump stops. Anymore then that then you go past the travel limit of the shock. It made a huge improvement and now the suspension can actually engage and use the overload spring. I did it on the truck with a saws-all.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
hummm cut 1.5 inches off? do you think the bilsteins have more travel than the stock black shocks?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've installed a set of www.supersprings.com to my Taco. The installation requires that you completly remove the bump stops. The springs will give you about an inch and a half lift. Overall I now have about 4.5" of travel with more load carrying capicity. I've been offroad several times and havn't had the bottoming out problem. Under normal driving I can't tell a difference.

·
Registered
257 Posts
lotust said:
hummm cut 1.5 inches off? do you think the bilsteins have more travel than the stock black shocks?
im not sure if the do. My next to do was to take a the rear shock off and measure its extended and compressed measurements and do the same for the suspension and try to find a better matched shock to handle the travel difference.

·
Registered
257 Posts
T-Will said:
I've installed a set of www.supersprings.com to my Taco. The installation requires that you completly remove the bump stops. The springs will give you about an inch and a half lift. Overall I now have about 4.5" of travel with more load carrying capicity. I've been offroad several times and havn't had the bottoming out problem. Under normal driving I can't tell a difference.
what happens if you bottom out with the superspring? is it just metal to frame if you do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts