Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Powder Seeker
2007 Tacoma Double
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear fender flares on my 1 month old truck feel like 80 grit sand paper. About 6 inches on the bottom front of the rear flares are extremely pitted.

I live in Ontario so the the roads are covered is winter crap, but I am worried that it will keep getting it worse.

I have found a lot of posts abotu chipped paint, but I have the black unpainted plastic flares.
Has anyone had similar issues?

·
And My Dog Remington
725 Posts
Pics... Pics????

·
Mine is better than yours
'06 Dbl-Cab 4x4 Taco
1,211 Posts
My '03 had black flares and did the same exact thing. They were chewed up about half way up the flare on the front side.

Marc M

·
Powder Seeker
2007 Tacoma Double
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a pic I took this morning, at first I thought it was just dirt and salt, but it is actualy pitted plastic

·
Just duct tape it!
612 Posts
have you tried to actually clean it off good with water and soap? It might not just wipe of with your finger. If its really that bad, then take it to the dealer and see if they can help you.

·
Powder Seeker
2007 Tacoma Double
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I really tried to get it to come off last night with some good quality cleaner and it's almost like a skin is peeling off the plastic. I have it going in a noon to show them and see what they think.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
Soap, water and 303.

I don't know what you may have done with the "quality cleaner". Sounds like it ate away a layer of plastic.

·
Powder Seeker
2007 Tacoma Double
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By 'quality cleaner' I mean a plastic cleaner meant for automotive use, it was deffinately there before I tried to clean it.

Anyways.

I took it to the dealer today and they ageed it needs to be fixed under warranty. We are going to think about the best way to prevent it from happenening again before they put the new ones on.

Here is what I am going to suggest.

1. Put nerf bars or step bars on
  2. upgrade the plastic ones to painted ones and apply 3m to the that portion on the new ones.
Any thoughts? Seems my dealer is willing to go the extra mile for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts