Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Quincy Highlander
2019 Highlander
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My only regret on my Highlander is that I did not get the model with the glass opening ability on the tailgate.

What are odds that someone makes a kit to convert my non-opening glass to allow it to operate like a factory option?

I have the 2019 LE AWD and I love it, but wish I could open the tailgate glass.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,235 Posts
Buy the vehicle with the features you want instead of cheaping out on the one with less features. Otherwise look at a wiring diagram, look at a parts diagram, and I am sure you still can't get it done. If you do get it, congrats. Otherwise don't waste the time and money.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
987 Posts
Er... there's a pretty comprehensive parts diagram & list at https://onlineparts.toyotasouthatlanta.com/a/Toyota__Highlander/62950408__6715865/BACK-DOOR-PANEL--GLASS/526420-6708.html

There are 3 views - the link above is to view 1 of 3. Other views you can select by scrolling down to "View More Images".

Doublecheck to be sure that it's for your year.

I can't make out where the hinges are, but at least it's a start. I'd be surprised if Toyota actually produced two completely different sheetmetal stampings or harnesses -- Toyota goes for highest efficiency in production and it's easier to keep the same parts across trim levels except when absolutely necessary to change them..

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong. The photos in post 19 almost certainly tell you the sheetmetal is different... the rear glass is a large assembly that includes a goodly amount of the exterior styling of the top of the door.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Er... there's a pretty comprehensive parts diagram & list at https://onlineparts.toyotasouthatlanta.com/a/Toyota__Highlander/62950408__6715865/BACK-DOOR-PANEL--GLASS/526420-6708.html

There are 3 views - the link above is to view 1 of 3. Other views you can select by scrolling down to "View More Images".

Doublecheck to be sure that it's for your year.

I can't make out where the hinges are, but at least it's a start. I'd be surprised if Toyota actually produced two completely different sheetmetal stampings or harnesses -- Toyota goes for highest efficiency in production and it's easier to keep the same parts across trim levels except when absolutely necessary to change them..
The part may fit but it's the electrical that will cause the "biggest" issue. Just like the person who thought he could easily swap climate control into his brand new Highlander with manual controls. The part may fit but there is more to it that just the part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
May not be much to the power portion since its just a simple solenoid wired to the hatch release button. And if he doesn't have a power liftgate, then no need to wire it to that to detect whether the hatch is popped or not. OP, just curious if your tailgate already has the cutout for the hatch release button located below the glass?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Then it might be that you don't have the cutouts to accommodate the lock/release mechanism for the hatch. Might be harder project to retrofit.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Then it might be that you don't have the cutouts to accommodate the lock/release mechanism for the hatch. Might be harder project to retrofit.
That or create a "simple" separate wiring harness for it and make it separate from the main wiring harness. Up goes up, down goes down. Is it worth it? It's your choice. I am only hard on the OP because he is probably the forth person in nine months to buy a brand new (not used) Highlander and then want to add a feature on it instead of just buying it with it. It seems to be only the Highlanders that ask questions like this too....

If I am wrong about buying a brand new vehicle with everything you want vs buying a used vehicle with most of what you want, be happy to criticize me. You're already buying brand new so get everything you want now that is optional instead adding it later.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I bought the LE Plus with the lift up glass in the rear door. In all honesty, I doubt I will use it much. It's easier to just raise the whole door then to reach over the high window ledge. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My only regret on my Highlander is that I did not get the model with the glass opening ability on the tailgate.

What are odds that someone makes a kit to convert my non-opening glass to allow it to operate like a factory option?

I have the 2019 LE AWD and I love it, but wish I could open the tailgate glass.
If you really must have the opening glass feature you could also check into getting a junkyard tailgate from a late model Highlander that has the feature. Probably not the most economical solution, but possibly the least complicated, especially if you find one of the same color.

·
Quincy Highlander
2019 Highlander
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mystery

I bought the LE Plus with the lift up glass in the rear door. In all honesty, I doubt I will use it much. It's easier to just raise the whole door then to reach over the high window ledge. Just my opinion.

Serious question: Why do people even bother posting replies like this?

If someone posted a question asking about where you can buy a great steak, why would someone bother posting that they do not like steak? How is your not liking steak relevant to the question?

Did you really think you were making a contribution by informing people that you don't find this feature to be very handy?

I just wanted to know if there was a way anyone knew of to add it later, and you for some reason just had to chime in and say you don't see the need.

It just amazes me.

·
Quincy Highlander
2019 Highlander
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you

If you really must have the opening glass feature you could also check into getting a junkyard tailgate from a late model Highlander that has the feature. Probably not the most economical solution, but possibly the least complicated, especially if you find one of the same color.
Thank you for the great idea!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Serious question: Why do people even bother posting replies like this?

If someone posted a question asking about where you can buy a great steak, why would someone bother posting that they do not like steak? How is your not liking steak relevant to the question?

Did you really think you were making a contribution by informing people that you don't find this feature to be very handy?

I just wanted to know if there was a way anyone knew of to add it later, and you for some reason just had to chime in and say you don't see the need.

It just amazes me.

I'll apologize first that I can't help you either, unless I can talk you out of it. I checked the thread to see why people use the glass hatch in the first place, as maybe I was missing something. In 2 years I've never used it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a 2016 Honda Pilot without a rear door opening window. When I purchased my Highlander a year ago, I thought the rear opening door glass would be a handy feature. I have just used it a few times as it is just much easier to open the tailgate rather than lifting the item up and down into the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Took some photos of the glass hinges and locking mechanism for you to compare to what you currently have. Maybe it will give you a better idea of what's involved. Hope this helps.

Perhaps the other poster's suggestion of finding a donor door would be the simplest approach to getting this done.

We have a large German Shepherd who likes hanging his head out the window to greet people when we're parked somewhere, so we open the hatch all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
987 Posts
Hmmm - My earlier post is wrong.

Since the glass as shown in tabjohitol's post (#19) carries with it, trim that forms exterior surface of the rear door, the sheetmetal for the type with opening glass has to be completely different from that of the type with stationary glass.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts