Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I try to use the rear glass as much as possible since the rear door takes FOREVER to open.
Number 1 reason I use mine! Sometimes throwing something small/light in the back is not worth the wait-time (geologic time-scales).

Plus it saves a cycle on the power lift mechanisms. Maybe I’d use it less if I had an LE manual gate.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Having read this thread I used the pop up window on purpose yesterday, for the first time ever. I reached in and grabbed a bag of groceries that was in there. Faster than the actuated hatch for sure. Not sure if I will use it frequently but maybe once I a while now!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
I try to use the rear glass as much as possible since the rear door takes FOREVER to open.
Me, too. Plus, If I carry something long, I can stick it out the window and bungee the window down onto the long item. I use the flip window ten times for every time I open the hatch.

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6
660 Posts
dont see the need?
How about sunroofs, add weight, cost, complexity, a water leak place and nobody uses them and they add $$$ to the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
imho, sales and sales staff are not what they were. Most (not all) sales I talked to knew little about the Highlanders, and all the different features available. In 2018 I think all Highlanders had the rear window feature. Anyway it gets confusing trying to keep up with all the different features, with the different trim levels, etc... I'm sure the sales guy made no effort to ensure he was getting all he wanted. All they really care about is, finishing a transaction; ANY transaction... I was so dizzy after looking at the many different offerings at several different dealers, that I either thought the XLEs came with AWD, or I just somehow forgot to ask for it. Sales guy just wanted to sprint away from the Highlander, to the negotiating table, with very little interest in the vehicle itself or my families interests. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the OP thought his vehicle had the rear window feature...

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,783 Posts
dont see the need?
How about sunroofs, add weight, cost, complexity, a water leak place and nobody uses them and they add $$$ to the car.
I’m nobody then. Sunroof in both vehicles and wouldn’t have it any other way. Open any chance I get if the temp is above 55°. Same with the rear flipper glass. Use it all the time. Long objects, grabbing something quick without opening whole hatch, packing for a trip and getting those last min items in without having everything fall out. My grand Cherokee had flipper glass too. Not sure if I could live without one. Jeep got rid of them too in 2014.

·
Quincy Highlander
2019 Highlander
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

1. Buy what you should've bought, not what you cheaped out on.

1. Says the guy who proudly displays all of the aftermarket modification he's done to his car.

Why would you do that? Why did you not buy what you wanted?

Did you cheap out?

·
Premium Member
'06 Highlander Sport
3 Posts
Thanks

I bought the LE Plus with the lift up glass in the rear door. In all honesty, I doubt I will use it much. It's easier to just raise the whole door then to reach over the high window ledge. Just my opinion.
I'm not sure how this information is helpful to the discussion. Perhaps it needs to be directed to a thread about "things I wish I hadn't bought".

·
Quincy Highlander
2019 Highlander
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Me, too. Plus, If I carry something long, I can stick it out the window and bungee the window down onto the long item. I use the flip window ten times for every time I open the hatch.
This is exactly why I would like to have it.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,138 Posts
Says the guy who proudly displays all of the aftermarket modification he's done to his car.

Why would you do that? Why did you not buy what you wanted?

Did you cheap out?
Sorry mods, I am just responding to what he wants to here. I agree, I'm a hypocrite. Then again, who isn't. An exhaust is a plug-n-play, an cold air intake is a plug-n-play, an throttle controller is mostly plug-n-play, an ECU swap is plug-n-play but ECU tuning is not. The things I want never came with the car when new and are only aftermarket. That is the main difference between what you want and I did.

It's a base model 2008 Camry, there is not much I want to add that would add onto it's "convenience". For me, less is more, less is cheaper, less means less things can break. A sunroof can leak, a rear window hatch can leak, a remote can malfunction, a power seat can malfunction. Nothing else to it. It's a car that will last me a lifetime and having less means less potential for malfunctions.

Is the rear glass a plug-n-play? Only you can find out. We've gone through 4-pages of mostly just me chastising you and assisting you with what to do but at the same it seems like we've gone no further than the first few posts. Have you done any research? Can you swap the hatch? Can you swap the glass?

I'll do my best to not post here anymore mods. He asked, I answered.

·
Premium Member
'06 Highlander Sport
3 Posts
OP, hang in there. The forums are mostly helpful but you do have to put up with those few who are unhelpful. Good luck on your search.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,414 Posts
OP, as everyone has already mentioned. You will need a new rear lift door, get new wiring harnesses, and have it wired to make it work correctly. That is the basic knowledge of making this work.

From what I know, most HL with power lift gates have this option plus a lock button for those with keyless feature. I don't know if non-power lifting gate has this lift window option but that's what I know.

When I got my HL, I didn't know about this feature until I was curious what the little black button did. Ever since then, it's a very convenient feature, especially when I only need to take out a diaper bag or few other things instead of having to wait for the rear lift door to open slowly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
626 Posts
This, plus the stays on the rear window look cheaper to replace than the the large power operated one's on the hatch. The manufacturers deliberately strip out expected items from the base model then put them on higher model and include a whole bunch of almost useless stuff to boost the asking price. Things like leaving fog lamps off in 2019 and then forcing one to buy electric tailgates, sunrooms etc to get the stuff one does want. Why not have a well equipped practical version and then a limited version with all the extra less practical stuff, makes both versions value for money instead of 1/2 dozen trim levels?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts