Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rear main seal---tranny removal?

ive been tryin to get to the rear main seal but struggle w/ the tranny rmoval and now tranny prolly cant come out due to space.

now my only option is to lift out the engine. anyone out there done this repair b4, plz help!!!!

any idea would be possible.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Yes, the tranny needs to be removed to replace the rear main seal.

Its possible to remove the tranny without removing the engine, but good luck doing it. I've found its easier to remove the engine and tranny together.

Just remove and unplug whatever you need to and lift it out. Then once its out of the car you can easily seperate the engine and tranny.

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imma try to jack up the engine and tilt it a lil and then try to lift the tranny out.

if this method do not work, imma take out the engine by itself. i know the engine can come out easily w/o the tranny comin w/ it. i just hate dealin w/ all them hoses and craps.

thanks 88le,
will post result. BTW, awhile back, somebody was curious to see if the tranny was able to remove w/o the engine doin it in their garage. well, here i go.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Do you have a engine leveler?

A part of the tranny goes underneath the frame. Thats why its a bitch to remove by itself.

So you need to lift it and tilt it at the same time. Thats why I asked if you have a engine leveler.

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright, just looked over again. the tranny is about 2-3 inches from the engine so no go. time to lift the engine out. damn this shiiit will take all day for me.

what kind of seal do i need to replace from the tranny? axle seals?

·
Registered
92 Camry LE V-6
8 Posts
I just did this job on my 92 LE V-6. No way the tranny will come out then top without pulling the engine attached. Even then it looks like no fun. I did it the way the Toyota book calls for. Suspend the engine with a cradle. I got one from maxtool.com for about $80. You have to take the suspension out, leaving the struts in is OK, but you have to drop the subframe. You suspend the steering rack from the cradle as well. Then drop the tranny. Try Harbor Freight for a tranny jack, again about $80.00. CAREFULLY pry the tranny straight back, mind the converter if you have an auto, it might want to stick in the pilot shaft like mine did. As long as you're in there be sure to pull, and reseal the rearmain holder, and the oil plug from the back of the block. Put her all back and you should be good to go. Foe me it was a full weekend project, teardwon Saturday, repair the seals. Put back on Sunday. Again if you have an auto make sure if the converter came loose you "clock" it back into place and make sure it is at least 12-14mm backset measuring with a straight edge across the front of the bell housing down to one of the converter bolt mounts. This let you be assured it's "clocked" into place and engaged into the oil pump. I learned the hard way and got to do it again, after replacing a damaged tranny oil pump. $$$ + time = :-( Happy wrenching!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts