Toyota Nation Forum banner

Rear Seat Entertainment System SD Card [Solved]

81K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  waqarkhan 
Hiya guys

Posting here because I just got a 2016 Highlander with this godawful rear-seat entertainment system with the SD slot that only supports AVCHD disc images. Glad to see I'm not the only one scratching their head on this POS design decision.

This thread seems to be the definitive source on Google right now for making videos that this system can handle. I jumped through hoops to install multiAVCHD using the info here like everyone else and managed to get a working image that had a few videos on it after hours of trial and error.

But here's what I didn't like. multiAVCHD is a true pain in the ass to install and use AND it looks like it's been abandoned by its author several years ago.

So I found another piece of software that can do everything multiAVCHD can do, but is much easier to use, is still supported, and is being actively developed. It takes all your videos in whatever format they happen to be and wraps them all in a nice looking menu.

You literally drag and drop the videos you want to include, select one of like a dozen templates to use for the menu, tell it how big your SD card is, and hit 'go'. It then transcodes everything at the highest bitrate it can while staying within the maximum size limit of your SD card. Like...it's crazy how many movies you can squeeze into 64GB. The overall video quality takes a small hit every time you add one so you don't want to get too nuts, but this software really lets you cram 'em in there (and tells you what % of compression you're looking at with every add).

I'm happy to write up a tutorial if anyone needs it, but you really shouldn't need one.

That's the good news. The bad news is it's not free. I won't link to it directly here, but it's called "ConvertXtoVideo".

The other downside is that it takes forever. It took about an hour to generate an AVCHD image that contained just three two-hour movies. multiAVCHD is somehow able to integrate mp4s without transcoding them and that speeds things up a TON, but ConvertXtoVideo insists on transcoding whatever you throw at it, no matter the source format, and that means it takes a whole lot longer.

multiAVCHD works pretty well and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from using a free option. But if you don't want to F around with installing codec packs from ten years ago and digging through forum threads on doom9 for help, you've got at least one other option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.