·
Toyota Champ
1997 Corolla
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Recently purchased a 97 Corolla base model with 109,000km

I put my own deck in (JVC $100).

I've got two speakers up front and none in the rear.

Wondering how to wire speakers up to the rear, see I a place in the trunk I could mount them.
or is this way more work than it's worth?

·
Cody
94 Corolla
190 Posts
Your car should have a spot to install 2 6.5" speakers with a harness connected to them.

It should also have a space for a set of 6x9" speakers in between the two 6.5"

·
Toyota Champ
1997 Corolla
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cody, appreciate the help. :thanks:
any idea where I can learn about the harness? would it connect into the unused ports on my deck adapter?

·
Cody
94 Corolla
190 Posts
I know on mine, its a wire harness that plugs into a socket with positive and negative speaker wires coming off it. Those should be wired into the factory radio wiring that plugs into the back of your stereo deck

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I know on mine, its a wire harness that plugs into a socket with positive and negative speaker wires coming off it. Those should be wired into the factory radio wiring that plugs into the back of your stereo deck
Correct. All the wires should be there. It's just a matter of getting the mounting bezels and of course the speakers. I haven't been in mine for quite awhile, but I think you should be able to see the harness if you look for it from inside the trunk. The bezels are designed for 6.5"s. You'll be looking at custom mounts for hte middle slots that fit 6x9s but I've seen it done on here and it's not hard. I had issues fitting some of Rockford Fosgate's Punch speakers into the stock 6.5" bezels, but had room to spare with Kenwood Excelons. I also suggest two ways, as three ways are going to be a bit harsh due to the speakers being aimed at about ear level.

·
Toyota Champ
1997 Corolla
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alittle confused about finding the harness from within my trunk. I was thinking I'd have to run wires from the speakers to my deck.

Are they already there? (sorry, really new to this stuff!)

·
Cody
94 Corolla
190 Posts
yes it will be under the rear deck and will look like

Chances are its already plugged into the speaker brackets then just connect the positive/negative wires to the harness

Or you could just bypass the whole factory wiring and run the rear speakers to an 2/4 channel stereo amp

·
Toyota Champ
1997 Corolla
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, basically I look in my trunk for the harness, hopefully I find them.

I have a feeling they are not there though!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Most Corolla's were pre-wired. White two pin plug between rear deck & metal.

Behind radio should be a second plug with (4) wires, red/white right side, black/yellow left side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts