Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Don't be stupid you moron
2007 Tacoma DC 4x4
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping there are at least a few Toyota techs here who can answer these questions:

1. In regards to the rear leaf spring TSB# T-SB-0305-08, page 2, it claims the time it takes to perform the rear leaf spring replacement is 3.1 hours for a TRD option truck, if I'm reading it correctly. Can a tech confirm this please.

2. Is the 3.1 hours accurate, or does it actually take less time for a good Toyota mechanic? If less, what is the actual time?

I'm asking these questions as my truck is out of warranty but Toyota has agreed to pay for the more expensive item between the labor and parts. I'm pretty sure the parts will be more than the labor but help with the above will guide me. I can probably negotiate the labor easier than the cost of the parts, but I'll see.

THANKS in advance

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
If those numbers are coming from the TSB, then they're "book time". A good mechanic at a dealer should do at least 24 hours of book time a day, so you can deduce from that fact that someone with the right tools and experience should be able to do it in 1/3 the time. The customer pays for book time whether it really takes the mechanic that long or not. If the mechanic is faster, the dealership makes money. If the mechanic is slower, they won't be there long.

To answer your question more directly, if it says 3.1 hours, that's how much labor you'll pay for. Going rate is roughly $90/hour.

And yes, I agree that it says 3.1 hours if you have a TRD option already installed. That means they don't have to change the front shocks.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
3.1 hours seems right to me. In this case (TSB) this is the amount of time Toyota is going to pay the dealership for performing the said procedure. If it took less time to do it, I can't see Toyota paying the dealer more to do it. From my experience warranty is paid out on just enough time to do the job IF everything runs perfect. This doesn't include rusted bolts or seized bushings. If its stated on the TSB (which the customer was never destined to see), you can bet it's pretty close to actual time.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
^Yup. From my experience I dropped my truck off at 7 am. and had a call shortly after 10 am saying the work was completed, and I know my truck sat for a bit before they started working on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts