Toyota Nation Forum banner

Rear suspension air bag which one do you have?

3306 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  dekerman1
For the ones that installed or will be installing a rear suspension air bags can you please provide insight on which one do you have and why. With 2 kids and 3 adults riding with approximate weight of 550 lbs my rear has been bottoming out to easy on the highway with a mild dip. I put in more people in my mini-van and I do not have this problem. I'm looking into possibly installing one to remove the issue. Or could it the rear shocks that are the problem.:dunno: I only have the SR5 and not the TRD double LB prerunner, I'm not planning to do any lift.

I have search and read the rear suspension problem but nothing really stands out as somewhat helps me make my decision. Any pointers is greatly appreciated.:)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
332 Posts
You would be the 1st I know of on this forum to do this. I am interested to see what you fine. With just myself, one passenger, and about 500lbs of dive gear in the bed, I must have bottomed out 25 times on a 1000 mile trip over paved highways. Bottoming out at 65mph does not give a warm and fuzzy feeling.

· Registered
97 Posts
I have the AirLift System (1.5years) on my 2005 Tacoma that I use for towing a 26'WA boat at about 6500lbs.
I bought this system because my father has one for 3 years prior and has worked as advertised.
When not in use lower pressure to 7 lbs and you will not know it is there.
2 hours to install with normal tools, no cutting except for holes for the fill valves at the bumper

· Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
are you seriously bottoming out or is it just the mudflaps hitting? That's what I found out happened to mine- removed the mudflaps and no more problems... I often carry three or four kayaks in the bed of my truck with all my fishing gear (Around 500 lbs total) and three or four adults (weights from 140 to 280 lbs each) and never actually bottomed out, even going over railroad tracks and my stock suspension!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the TRD, but that should not make that big a difference... I bet you 20 to 1 you are hearing mudflaps...

Toyota is seriously stupid for putting those crappy, long ugly things on anyways...

· Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,016 Posts
pointerDixie214 said:
are you seriously bottoming out or is it just the mudflaps hitting? That's what I found out happened to mine- removed the mudflaps and no more problems... I often carry three or four kayaks in the bed of my truck with all my fishing gear (Around 500 lbs total) and three or four adults (weights from 140 to 280 lbs each) and never actually bottomed out, even going over railroad tracks and my stock suspension!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the TRD, but that should not make that big a difference... I bet you 20 to 1 you are hearing mudflaps...

Toyota is seriously stupid for putting those crappy, long ugly things on anyways...

I LOVE Mudflaps because I like my paint "dingless" :clap:

· TN User
06 Tacoma DBL Cab LB
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
pointerDixie214 said:

I am definitely bottoming out. Like cruising the highway at 70mph with small/mild dip on it I feel the rear doing a big thug.

Major Woods said:
I have the AirLift System (1.5years) on my 2005 Tacoma that I use for towing a 26'WA boat at about 6500lbs.....
Major Woods, thank you for your feedback. Did you have bottoming issue before you installed the system?

Thank you for everyone feedback. Makes me wonder how many non-TRD (SR5) trucks has the bottoming problem compared to TRD Sports or Off-road. Does the TRD trucks gets a different leaf pack, I know they get a bilstein shocks but I wonder about the leaf?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.